Barge board end piece - name and replacement options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the name of that triangular shaped bit of timber that sits below the barge board and what is the best type of timber to replace it with?

Ive got two on the south facing side of the house that are warped/weathered/cracked that i need to replace.

(barge board and everything else is generally okay so decided not to go for the plastic replacement option)

was thinking of exterior grade ply but wondering if that might suffer with delamination

Sponsored Links
I've always referred to them as 'sprocket boxes' - not sure how correct that term is though!
Anyway, I'm doing a couple next week and will cut through the barge at 90 degrees and add a new end. I'll be using exterior grade ply and have done quite a few previously - I cant buy softwood wide enough. Ply is fine so long as the ends are heavily primed and painted (both sides) - that is absolutely essential and I cover the vertical ends with aluminium capping, extending 1/2" or so below the bottom as a weather drip.
John :)

Great thanks John,

Where do you get the aluminium capping from, or do you make it yourself to fit from sheet ally?

Ebay came to my rescue, Rob - this channel I needed wasn't generally available but I found some with an 18mm trough and it fitted perfectly, around 2.5mm thick wall. A layer of silicone plus a couple of stainless self tappers and they have been good for 20 years.
To cut the barge board I squared a line across then used a Stanley knife with new blades to slowly cut and chisel through. It took a while - maybe 1/2 an hour or so - but I don't possess a mutitool which possibly could have helped.
Having said that, I really don't know how accurate these tools are as I've never used one, but people do rave about them.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, ive got a multi tool and they come in handy for loads of awkward little jobs.
They take a bit of practice to get square cuts in timber but are fine once you get used to them,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back