Base for a wooden fort

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
D4C687AE-18DB-4ECD-A2CC-E595E0A47C83.jpeg
Hi, I’m looking at building one of these in my garden for my children. My question is regarding a base/support.

The pictures I’ve seen just seem to have it resting on the ground, which I’m not sure is stable enough. I would also like to get a few years out of it and would like to avoid the supports rotting too quickly.

I was thinking about installing the supports like fence posts about 1’ deep, but not sure if that’s overkill?

Time obviously isn’t a factor given the current global situation, and I’d be grateful for any suggestions anyone might have. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Made mine from pallets and sat the whole think on pallets, so cheap I dont worry about it rotting away.

Pics are half way thru build. last is nearly finished

79a3f610-a651-46e1-b3bf-bb1bce6504bc-jpeg.146018

Attachments

• IMG_5882.jpg
    IMG_5882.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5883.jpg
    IMG_5883.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
You need thicker posts than 4" posts imho - nearer 6"
Plus at least 2' underground .

Cor, I wish I'd had fun parents like you guys when I was growing up! They look ace.

@foxhole, is the loo included?!

Sponsored Links
Why?

unlike a fence, there is not much trying to blow a hut over.

I assumed that you'd still have a problem with wind, plus a few excitable kids hanging off one side or using it as a jungle gym

But it has weight of its own, and you could only tip it one way by lifting the other side off the ground.

My fence sometimes blows over, but my shed never does. The 75mm legs are bolted to modest concrete pads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back