Wooden Base for shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to build a wooden base to support my newly delivered shed. I have decided to go for a wooden frame, using 44x75 tan wood. I was going to build legs onto it using fence posts, into holes in the ground, filled with cement. The shed will then sit on top of this frame.

My question is how long should I make the legs (i.e. the bit going into the ground), i am using 4" fence posts?

Does the remainder of the frame need to touch the ground, or be raised above it?

Thanks in advance for your responses

Gary

Sponsored Links
you dont say what size your base is [shed size] or what thickness your floor is
if your floor timbers are 3x2 you will need a joist at around 2ft centers with the joists supported every 2 foot or so

Much quicker/easier/cheaper to rest the shed on concrete blocks. If you decide to proceed then what you are basically building is decking, without the deckboards. Plenty of decking posts on here for research.

Sponsored Links
gents

thanks for the replies - I tackled the job this glorious weekend! Built a wooden base (based upon the portabase idea I have seen on some shed websites) - relatively simple process when I set my mind to it, and feels very safe / stable.

Thanks again for the replies

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back