Shed Base...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read various posts from here and elsewhere, just like to jot down what I'm doing to see if it sounds ok.
I am going to purchase a 12ft by 8ft shed but do not want to put down a concreate base in case we sell up in a few years. (plus I'm on a budget !)

I am going to dig out the 12ft x 8ft shape in the lawn, lay 50mm of sand and level, then lay cheap paving slabs down, not sure how many as I'm going to build a wooden frame on top of the slabs to put the shed onto to keep it off the slabs

I see some folk just put the shed directly onto the slabs without the wooden frame as a base, should I do that ?

Should I put some kind of weed sheet under the sand (I'd suggest this was a waste as weeds aint gonna come up with no lights)
Does a damp proof material go directly under the shed base between the concreate or wood frame.

Thanks for advice - my main concern is do I really need the wood frame.

Sponsored Links
Just done the same, sand/cement on well compacted earth with some leftover slabs laid on top.

I built a base/floor for the shed. Made a 2x4 frame with fencing boards over the top, was going to use ply but it worked out cheaper to use boards.

I bought the shed second hand, was only a year old and the chipboard floor that was laid on top of some bits a 1"x 1" timber and was ruined, which I guess answers your question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back