Base of boiler filling with water – but no obvious leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. I have a Glow-worm 30CXI and the boiler base is filling up with water. It has obviously been like this for a while, as can be judged from the rusty metal parts. I have uploaded a couple of pictures to illustrate this.

I have checked all around the base and components above it and there is no sign of a leak. I’m sure there would be a tell-tale stain trace somewhere that would help locate the leak – but there is nothing.

I noticed there is a black rubber (?) seal between the bottom of the condensate trap and the boiler base plate (arrowed in the second picture). Is it possible that this seal is leaking and the source of the flooding? Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Put the covers back on and call a pro. The leak is probably condensate from the rear of the heat exchanger and is not for diy repair. The seal under the trap has nothing to do with your leak.

Looks to me very much like a boiler that hasn't ever been serviced... The seal on the main burner door has failed. You should stop using it immediately for your own safety and call a Gas Safe Registered Engineer

Water leaking from Heat exchanger burner seal. There is water stain on water pipe bend on left of gas valve and the bottom rim of heat exchanger casing.

You need a gas safe engineer to check it over and repair.

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

I only DIY when I know what I’m doing, and apart from the most obvious plumbing issues I am very wary of these ‘new-fangled’ boilers.

I realise the risks and will call a pro. Was just trying to a) get advice as to whether it was DIY or DIYnot; and b) understand what the problem is.

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back