Basement conversion - what should I think of in advance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. This is my first post. I've done a search and I can't find any similar topics so I hope I'm not repeating someone else'a thread.

We are planning a basement conversion in our victorian ground floor flat. The application is currently with the council and we'll hear back around the end of February (shouldn't be a problem but you never know with these things).
So we already have architectural drawings and structural engineer calculations but I was wondering if anyone here had any advice on things we should bear i mind while we're doing it? The sort of things that you only think of when it's finished and realise you should have done.

So for example I want to make sure we'll have enough sockets down there, including phone sockets, TV aerial, Sky sockets, but is there anything we can plan now that will help ensure we have good wifi coverage in the basement?

I also want to make sure we have enough storage down there and we're thinking about built-in storage in the bedrooms. Does anyone have any advice on how to best utilise space for built-in storage.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you want good WiFi run ethernet and put a second wifi access point down there.

Get a few bedroom fitters to come round and give you quotes and show you some designs, this way you can see whats on offer and how much it would cost.

You can decide to go elsewhere, or diy as you can buy the parts needed all over, but see what designs they come up with.

We have a local company do ours after sharps couldnt do what we wanted and they wanted to charge twice as much for a less than half of what we had done.

In fact we would have struggled to do the job diy for what it cost for floor to ceiling full room that they did, split storage within the units to utilise the space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back