Basement Finishing - the law?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mid terrace with a dry basement. Its currently Bare brick painted walls and concrete floor with exposed beams above. Its used as storage and as a utility room. i.e. "non habitable" in law.

I just want to make it look a bit better and more useful - drying clothes etc. I have installed a radiator and want to put some cheap laminate down and some plasterboard in the walls.. Not a change of use just sprucing up a storage room.

Do i need to get planning approval? From what i've read this is ok as long as it is still a storage room (i.e. no change in use). Difficult to find definitive information.

Also What constitutes habitable and a change of use? Presumably if i moved my sofa in that would be... But how would they know? If i move it out when i sold up..

Cheers Matt

Sponsored Links
I can't see that being a problem, so just go ahead.

And the definition of a habitable room/space is...

A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces.

But how would they know?

And why is it any of their business whether you're just storing boxes in your basement, or whether you're sitting down there in your basement, on your couch?

big-brother-is-watching-you1.jpeg

:p

Sponsored Links
I must say, Davina has really let herself go lately.

Thanks for the encouragement..

I will go ahead. I just get a bit worried about been held to randsom when one day i decide to move because i've done something wrong.. Basically the way i see it is as long as i don't 'claim' its another bedroom/living area etc.. when/if i sell up one day then its up to the owners to decide what to do with it..

However non-habitable includes bathroom so now i'm tempted to put in a hot tub and sauna :eek:)

Cheers all.. Worrying over nothing: i think!!

Basically the way i see it is as long as i don't 'claim' its another bedroom/living area etc.. when/if i sell up one day then its up to the owners to decide what to do with it..

Sounds good to me. :D

However non-habitable includes bathroom so now i'm tempted to put in a hot tub and sauna :eek:)

Which would then require a Building Reg's application as you would be introducing new drainage, ventilation, etc... so in that respect, don't bother :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back