Basements - what is meant by a protected stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking at buying a house, it currently has a basement that is being used as a computer room. I'm assuming that officially its just a 'storage room'.

I was looking at what would need to be done to allow me to use it as somewhere to have the PC, which I guess would make it habitable.

The main problem seems to be the fire escape regulation. It has only one staircase into the basement, no windows or easy way to install a window as it is all underground.

Its a small space (approx 3mx3m), so no room for a second staircase either.

I then came across mention of a 'protected staircase' being an option if a window or door to the outside was not possible.

What is a protected staircase?
Can the single existing staircase be converted, or would I still need a second staircase?

Would be great to be able to use the room for more than just storage (its not damp, and has electrical points/phone points) - but think I may be out of luck due to building regulations? (without spending '000s on building work)

Sponsored Links
The flight is surrounded by wall/ceiling with a fire door access, to form an enclosure which will withstand fire for 30 or 60 minutes

Normally a timber stud and plasterboard will do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back