Basic advice , everyone has their own

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just read the sticky 'basic guide' but want to double check

I have done several small tiling jobs with complete success. Last was WC in marble, 3m floor 7mwall. To prepare the floor I just used adhesive and screw to secure 6mm hardibacker as the deflection was very minimal. All has been fine.

Now I want to do my kitchen 6.5x4.5m, so different proposition. Got suspended timber floor with old pine T+G boards. I have to take boards up anyway as fitting UFH. To minimise height can I get away replacing old boards with 22mm Ply with Hardibacker (adhesive and screw), or just straight onto 25mm ply?

Are noggins needed for the full length of each board joint, as each will have to be cut for UFH pipes?

Also can you confirm the type of adhesive that should be used under Hardibacker (unmodified meaning...)...

Tiles will be 400x400x12 limestone

:eek:
Measure twice, cut once

Sponsored Links
I would use the 25mm ply and then you can tile straight onto it.You will need noggins under each join to minimise movement.

Sponsored Links
Dunno what that means lance. If I say ditto, it means I agree wiv ya. If it menas owt else round your way then so be it. Cu.um on av a go if ya fink yure ard enuff! ;)

hi,22mm ply is fine on its own,but you must put noggins under each joint to make a solid floor with minimal movement,if you use hardybacker it can be screwed onto plyboard,just to let you know the type of adhesive for your tiles should be one of the natural stone type that is flexible,not ceramic tile adhesive.

Thanks. I guess Hardibacker is only needed if the floor is going to get wet regularly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back