Basic circuit theory - neutral

thankyou to all who have replied, as its helping me to understand what happens in an electrical circuit.

Sponsored Links
Of course, it gets even more confusing when you start getting into earthing, and the fact that neutral is tied to the earth at various points back to the substation.

Earth is basically a return path for the electrons. Tall metal electricity pylons carry three phases. Nothing else. ;)

Sponsored Links
jujubean said:
The size of the voltage will vary from 0 to its maximum (325v) for half a second and 0 to the second maximum (-325v) for the second half of the second

not strictly true..

the voltage goes from 0, through 325 and back to 0 in the first half second, and then from 0, through -325 and back to 0 in the second half second ( based on the 1Hz frequency you were explaining on.. )

this is roughly what happens at the star point of a 3 phase transformer..

3-phase_flow.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power

jujubean said:
The size of the voltage will vary from 0 to its maximum (325v) for half a second and 0 to the second maximum (-325v) for the second half of the second

not strictly true..

the voltage goes from 0, through 325 and back to 0 in the first half second, and then from 0, through -325 and back to 0 in the second half second ( based on the 1Hz frequency you were explaining on.. )

this is roughly what happens at the star point of a 3 phase transformer..

3-phase_flow.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power
Yes quite right What I actually wrote was for a quarter of a one second cycle...I did mean 0 to 0 which is the half second
Appologies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back