Basic DIY deck questions!

dew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am trying to construct a 9*7 meter deck in my garden. One side would be attached the the house wall via ledger. I have searched the site and still I have few simple newbie questions:
1. Post Beams -> According to ultimatehandyman, we should be screwing two 6*2 beams to the posts for supporting, whereas the pics on his site don't show that he has done it. According to multiple posts on this site, this is ott. Please advice.
2. Posts -> 100*100 or 150*150, which is advisable? Also, the spacing between the posts, should it be limited to 1.8 meters apart. I assume the answer to this would be effected by point 1 and the size of post.
3. Joist Hangers -> They can't be used on outside/rim joist, so are there any benefits to use them for inside? Also, if I do use them, would I still need to screw/nail if two joists are required adjacent to each other?
4. All the post marking techniques uses the square method to mark the post locations. My deck is more rectangular kinda shape. Should I treat them as multiple squares?
5. Since the width of deck is around 9meters, if using beam I would need more then one piece of length. How do i join them? Similar question for joist, but I assume answer would be same for both.
6. Do I need noggings if am spacing joists 400mm apart.

I am designing the deck on graph and would upload the design later on. Have bought the decking builder book as well, but there are always questions. :)

:LOL:
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Another stab at the same. I have drawn a rough sketch of the planned base for decking, showing the post locations and beams.
Please comment if this would work or any other observation.

search a bit harder, ive answered about every decking question on this forum ;)

1: you dont need double beams, totally unnecessary
2:100 x 100 more than ample. nothing wrong with using offcuts of the 6 x 2. We normally space them about 1.5m. no hard and fast rule. you dont want the deck to bounce and it depends on the ground. if you need more put them in.
3:joist hangers are totally unnecessary.
4:Forget marking out the posts. Build the outside frame and get it levelled up. then put the joists in and lastly the posts where needed.
5:build the frame in two sections, so the ends of the joists all join in at the end to a central memeber and then start them again on the other side.
6:we dont use noggins. often run a timber member under the frame and fix it to the joists to strengthen them, but noggins are not really needed

picture is very nice and wonderful, but build the outside frame and the rest will fall into place. Never built a deck from a plan, waste of time. Personally i think the website you have looked makes a very simple job very complicated.

• Thanks
Reactions: dew
Thanks Thermos, the search is not that great to find answers. I have spent last two days reviewing the other topics on decking.

We just re-turfed the garden last week, hence would be tricky to build outer frame first, as we dont have much space. So even though, I would like to build the deck in two sections, would need to start with fixing posts.

Thanks for your comments on my pic. It's as basic as it gets. I have planned the deck boards as per attached image
To acheive the above, I would have to run joists as below:
Would it cause any problems?

Also, since beams dont come 9.5 meters long, is the best method to join two lengths using 8 coach boalts? I would assume the answer would be applicable to joist as well!
In case of long double joist how to join them, or use the same method, but stagger the join?

Appreciate your help.

Regards!

Sponsored Links
build each section as a smaller frame, so you use shorter timber lengths and fix them perpendicular into the frame member

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back