Basic installation testing with minimal disturbance

I am replacing the float valve in a domestic pumped sewage system. It is the type that "swims" of the surface and has three switches. At 9 volt DC there is no fault, IR looks > 200 Meg. At 50 volts DC it is about 7 Meg But at 230 volt AC the IR drops low enough to pull in the pump motor's control contactor ( the fault that caused the pump to run dry and wreck ). So yes IR values do tend to change depending on the test voltage applied.
Interesting. I imagine that we may well be talking (dirty) water here (rather than 'insulation'), which may possibly afford some of the explanation, perhaps via electrochemical mechanisms. I wonder what it would have shown at 230V (or even 500V) DC.

BTW, to surmise an IR which "looks >200MΩ" at 9V implies that you can measure current down to about 50 nA - is that the case?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
It is very dirty water which has got into the float switch after some 20 years of fault free operation http://www.kari-finn.fi/eng/files/fs_eng.pdf

The "9 volt" measurement was using a multi-meter on ohms range.

The "50 volt" measurement is a DC source and a milli / micro amp meter in series and a calculation.

The current through the leaky insulation / dampness at 230 V AC was enough to pull in the contactor when both start and stop switches were open.

I might just test the old switch in the workshop at 250 AC and 600 DC

I'm thinking DMM which probably uses much less than 9V but measures to incredibly low currents - most 3 1/2 digit DMMs will go to 199MΩ and then read "----".

Or an analogue MM where the MΩ scale goes up to hundreds of megs at the top end (although very closely spaced and probably only readable to +/- a hundred megs at best).
Even with an analogue meter, if you zero it carefully, then a lot of them will measure to some very high values (at fairly low accuracy) if you are careful how you read the scale (mirrored scales like on the good old AVO meters help here).

The same holds true at the other end of the range. With care you can usually compare (but not measure accurately) very low resistances that barely leave the needle off the zero line.

PS - I see from here that the Avo Model 8 only went to 200k. Didn't realise it was made from 1923 to 2008 ! I think dad's AVO was the first meter I ever used.

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking DMM which probably uses much less than 9V but measures to incredibly low currents - most 3 1/2 digit DMMs will go to 199MΩ and then read "----".
True. As I said, that implies the ability to measure down to 45 nA (at 9V, even lower if voltage is lower) - which is pretty impressive.

Or an analogue MM where the MΩ scale goes up to hundreds of megs at the top end (although very closely spaced and probably only readable to +/- a hundred megs at best).
The only analogue meters I have surviving (like my trusty 1960s AVO Multiminor Mk 4, still going strong) couldn't achieve anything like that. On that AVO, the highest marking on the ohms scale, virtually indistinguishable from the bottom end of the scale (needle 'resting point'), is 20KΩ, which on its 'x100' range would equate to just 2MΩ. I think that most analogue multimeters were based on 50μA (sometimes 100μA) movements - so, even with 9V, to be able to measure ~200MΩ would require one to be able to detect a movement of about one-thousandth of full scale deflection.

The same holds true at the other end of the range. With care you can usually compare (but not measure accurately) very low resistances that barely leave the needle off the zero line.
That's much more iffy. When trying to measure extremely high resistances, at least one can look to see if there is any perceptible needle movement from its 'resting position' when one connects. For very low resistance, one is having to visually judge how close a nearly-FSD reading is to the point one adjusted the zero point to be.

Kind Regards, John.

JohnW2";p="2439570 said:
For very low resistance, one is having to visually judge how close a nearly-FSD reading is to the point one adjusted the zero point to be./quote]One trick ( where safe to do so ) is to connect the meter to the resistance to be tested and then short out the leads with a zero ohm lead and note the meter reading. Then remove the short circuit and read the new meter reading. The difference is the value of the resistance For most purposes that gives a reasonable accurate value of the resistor being tested. It can be more accurate if the resistance of the "zero ohm" lead is allowed for using parallel resistor calculations.

Other wise using a constant current source force a suitable and known current through the resistor and measure the voltage across it, then apply Ohm's law R = V / I

Or is the resistor is in circuit use an amp meter and a voltmeter and apply Ohm's law.

One trick ( where safe to do so ) is to connect the meter to the resistance to be tested and then short out the leads with a zero ohm lead and note the meter reading. Then remove the short circuit and read the new meter reading. The difference is the value of the resistance.
Is that not exactly what one does when, with an analogue meter, one adjusts the reading obtained with the leads shorted to read exactly FSD, and then moves the leads to the resistance one wishes to measure?

One Other wise using a constant current source force a suitable and known current through the resistor and measure the voltage across it, then apply Ohm's law R = V / I
Sure, but I don't think that alters the generality of what I've been saying. If one wanted to use relatively small voltages, that constant current would have to be extremely small. I'm not sure how easy is is to design accurate constant current sources in the nA range.

One Or is the resistor is in circuit use an amp meter and a voltmeter and apply Ohm's law.
Given that we are talking about messuring resistances of hundreds of MΩ, one would need a voltmeter of incredibly high input resistance for that to give reasonable answers.

Kind Regards, John.

Is that not exactly what one does when, with an analogue meter, one adjusts the reading obtained with the leads shorted to read exactly FSD, and then moves the leads to the resistance one wishes to measure?
Very similar. my method means the needle only moves between dead short and the resistor under test without crossing back across the whole scale between the two readings

Given that we are talking about messuring resistances
I was talking about measuring very low resistance value.

Given that we are talking about messuring resistances
I was talking about measuring very low resistance value.
Ah, yes, sorry - this discussion has been jumping around a bit! In that case, my comment turns on its head - the requirement would then be for an ammeter with an extremely low internal resistance (rather than a volmeter with an extremely high input resistance).

Kind Regards, John

Yes, as said, measuring very small or very large resistances with a general purpose meter is far from ideal - and for the sort of values we're talking about, isn't so much a measurement as an estimate.

Ideally you use something designed for the job - but when that's not to hand you have to make do with what you do have.

It's also "interesting" designing equipment to do HV insulation resistance (3.5kV) and low voltage conductance (several amps, with 4 point measurement), fully automated for multicore cables - and portable (with 1980's technology).

Yes, as said, measuring very small or very large resistances with a general purpose meter is far from ideal - and for the sort of values we're talking about, isn't so much a measurement as an estimate.
Very true but, as I said as an example, in the case of my analogue AVO Multiminor, it would be unreasonable to produce an estimate of anyting higher than ">2MΩ", since even 2MΩ produces only a just-about-perceptable movement of the needle..

Kind Regards, John.

the requirement would then be for an ammeter with an extremely low internal resistance (rather than a volmeter with an extremely high input resistance).
Don't all ammeters need an extremely low resistance (ideally zero) and all voltmeters an extremely high one (ideally infinite)?

Not that you'd be able to get any work out of them, like moving a pointer....

Don't all ammeters need an extremely low resistance (ideally zero) and all voltmeters an extremely high one (ideally infinite)?
Of course they do (depending on one's interpretation of 'extremely'), if one wants accurate measurements and minimal interference with what one is measuring.

However, for the most common 'mid-range' measurements, deviations from the ideal of zero/infinite resistance have little impact. It's only in the sort of extreme situations we've been talking about that the level of finite internal resistance of common meters might become a major issue.

Kind Rgards, John.

Most accurate measurements are made using Wheatstone Bridge and similar zero affect methods where one is looking for zero voltage and zero current in the indicating equipment when the bridge is balanced. The value being measured, the unknown of the four bridge elements, can then be calculated from the three known elements.

But for almost all practical purposes meters are adequately accurate

Of course they do (depending on one's interpretation of 'extremely'), if one wants accurate measurements and minimal interference with what one is measuring.
Interesting though that the closer to the ideal you can get the better your instrument but if you could actually reach the ideal it would be no use at all...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back