Basic Pendant Light Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Forgive me if this is already posted, I have looked but 365 pages defeated me!

My house was rewired 4 years ago so should be kosher. I'm fitting a ceiling pendant but the flex has only blue and brown wires, the fitting is new and has no earthing connection inside it. But the cable from the ceiling has three wires: blue, brown and green. Is it ok to connect up the brown and blue to the fitting and tape off the green?

many thanks

(BTW I always use proper electricians but I felt sure a light fitting I should do myself.)

Sponsored Links
there should be a ceiling rose. the cables connect to a block in this (including the Green & Yellow earth), the rose is screwed to the ceiling, and then the pendant hangs from it. If your pendant is all-plastic it can be left unearthed, but any metal light fitting in future (or metal switches) must be earthed.

Because the rose has a terminal for the earth wire, it is safely terminated in there. If the earth wire is bare copper, slide G&Y sheathing over it before putting the exposed end into the terminal.

thanks for the quick reply.

the 'rose' is metal but has no block inside it to attach anything to. The plastic wiring block is attached to the flex and is prewired with blue and brown wires from flex. Again, nowhere to attach third cable from ceiling to. I bought the 'rose' and attached flex from Habitat in UK so should be Ok?

that really doen't sound right. the rose should look like this (this one is upside down) the dish-like cover unscrews and there are terminal blocks inside.
p2527467_l.jpg

can you posrt a pic of your one, top and bottom, and with any cover removed?

Is the thing they've given you like an ornamental bell-shaped thing, perhaps with a hanging hook?

Sponsored Links
The safe way is to mount the ceiling rose unit beside the hanging chain etc, and route the flex from that, down to the light.

Can't post a picture but yes, its a metal bit with a hook to attach to ceiling. So I need to install an earthed ceiling rose as per picture and then feed off that to the pendant.

Thanks for your help.

All done, no burnt bits. Cheers for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back