Basic questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to lay parquet in an orangery (i.e. a conservatory with solid walls). The room is about 17 sq.m. I like the look (and price) of reclaimed oak parquet.

The room has a concrete floor which I've had self-levelled.

1. Do I need to seal this self-levelled floor? If so, with what?
2. If the supplier offers to clean the bitumen off the blocks, is it worth me asking them to do this?
3. Do I need underlay? I see some manufacturers recommending Timbermate Excel.
4. What adhesive do I use?
5. Do I glue the grooves, tongues or undersides of the blocks? Or all of them?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later on. Many thanks for your assistance.

Adam

Sponsored Links
Underlyament is only needed when you install a floor floating. Presume your reclaimed parquet are blocks? So no underlayment, but use suitable parquet adhesive. Because it is a conservatory where the temperature can get rather high I recommend a flexible adhesive - like you would use with underfloor heating (Mapei P990 would be a good choice)

Get as much bitumen off as possible - if the supplier is offering make sure they do a proper job. For more tips etc, see our "Parquet repair/restore" chapter

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am looking to buy reclaimed oak blocks.

Does your 'Comprehensive Installation Guide for Woodden Flooring' deal with installing this kind of floor?

Many thanks,

Adam

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back