Basic Room Stat with Presets- Available??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace the current room thermostat in our village hall. Most hirers are sedintary and want it nice and cosy 21 -22c !! but others who do fitness classes, puppy dog training, dancing etc find that too hot and want the temperature lower.
At the moment we ask them to press the Override button on the controller in the boiler room but that's far from ideal and we find the heating turned off.
Ideally I am looking for a wall thermostat with two or more presets e.g. 18c and 22c.

Is there anything like this available? It also needs to be fairly basic and ideally tamper proof with just two operations for users hot and cool. Currently the existing wall thermostat has a three wire mains connection
I am also looking to use something like Lightwaverf controls on the boiler to turn the heating on and off according to the booking calendar. Is there Lightwave or other Home automation system that uses a radio controlled thermostat with presets?
Fozzie

Sponsored Links
an old-style dial thermostat on the wall would do. Even quite old people are familiar enough to know how to turn them up or down. You may be able to fit Max and Min stops to it.

The ones with a little light that turns on when calling for heat will give the users reassurance.

IRC there is an ACL Drayton that fits the bill.

edit
probably this one
http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/products/thermostats/rts/rts2

you can fit stick-on coloured markers for max and min (I use some from an office wall planner, in red and blue)

Options:
1. Old type dial thermostat as already suggested.
2. Old type dial thermostat and another fixed thermostat elsewhere set to a sensible maximum temp, to prevent users setting the other one far too high.
3. Old type thermostat which is wired so the light in it goes on and off, but doesn't control the heating. A hidden fixed thermostat elsewhere set to 19C does the actual control.
4. More complex, but a 3 position switch with 'off' 'warm' and 'cool'. 2 other hidden fixed thermostats required, one for each temperature setting.

radio controlled
No.

Thank you gents that's given me some options to consider.

The existing tamper proof thermostat is in three section trunking so I could put another thermostat either side and replace the existing with a switch. I think that might be the most robust solution and thermostats are'nt all that expensive. However I like the idea of a standard rotary thermostat with limit stops. I could kick myself as I had forgotten about mechanical limit stops on the dial type.

Thanks again for you input.
Fozzie

Sponsored Links
A Honeywell T6 Lyric would do you nicely. Whoever takes the bookings can spend 5 minutes once a week setting the appropriate temperatures up for each activity from the comfort of their own home. The stat itself can be locked with a PIN to either reduce or disable functionality to those trying to adjust it locally. If it's preset to an appropriate temperature for each activity though, people should just leave it alone

Thanks Muggles. I need to do a bit more research but that looks ideal as long as you can control the device over the internet with the app and not just when connected to the local WiFi network.
Fozzie

Thanks again for that. Are you aware if Honeywell work with IFTTT. Many of the others like Samsung Smart Things, Hive and Belkin do. This would then allow me to control the heating via the thermostat rather than the boiler controls using our Google booking Calendar(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back