basic screw question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I will be installing some internal bifold doors which has a bottom rail and runners in the top. The head needs to be screwed to above support which is a catnic lintel with a steel RSJ sat on the catnic (there is a reason for this). Having looked in the screwfix catalogue I can see the self tapping Timco type screws but there are loads of different variations and I have no idea when it comes to metal screws. The instruction manual for the doors say use 5mm Tech screws for securing to an RSJ but could someone recommend a type? Pan head/countersunk/hex head? I take I need to pilot drill?
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Ad

Sponsored Links
You definitely need to pilot drill, that is vital.....as for the screw head, that can depend if you need clearance where a countersunk head could be needed.
Personally I'd go for a head that could be reliably tightened, such as allen or torx ......much less chance of mashing up the screw head!
John :)

"Tech" or "Tek" screws are nominally self drilling and self tapping - though to be honest I'd be sceptical of them being able to drill or tap the web of an RSJ which tends to be a bit harder than "mild" steel. They do work well on thin sheet - I've used them on up to about 3mm mild steel.

Hex heads are best used with the correct driver bit. I've seen them done by putting a socket in the drill chuck, but it's hard to get it tight enough not to slip. But the magnet in the proper bits certainly helps with screw placement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back