lintel above bi-folding door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there
im just starting to plan out my new single story with flat roof extention and need some advice on the lintel to use above the 8ft bifold external doors!!!

in the pic attached they give instructions for a pressed steel lintel and an rsj, because there arnt many courses of block work (thermalites) between the top of the doors and the roof , will using a catnic be OK as i was worried that the lack of weight above the doors may cause problems?
also are RSJs ever used on external walls and if so how are they finished eg renderd over

cheers
jon

Sponsored Links
here's how I detailed a recent head over such a door

freddymercurystwin
I'm intrigued as to why you chose an RSJ and flange instead of a Catnic or similar. Was it due to the opening width being out of the range of typically available catnics, your preferred method or some other reason?

seka 1980
I would not expect you to have any problems with a properly fitted catnic.

Were you concerned about the catnic moving? If the mass of the bi-fold doors was so great to be of a concern, you could always add some straps to the Catnic/Wall joints for your peace of mind!

Sponsored Links
Opening was 5.4m.

But for the OP's info the principle is the same be it a Catnic with a leg or a UB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back