Basin in loft-room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

We live in an old (1913) house, which has had a loft-bedroom from new. We're soon to begin a refurb of this loft room, as part of which, we'd like to install a basin (no space, or real desire, for a full en-suite, but a cloakroom sized basin will be useful).

As we recently had our bathroom redone, and had the loft in-mind at the time, I had the firm run hot & cold water feeds, plus a waste suitable for a basin into the loft room, currently all capped off.

Waste is in 40mm, and currently drops vertically through the ceiling, along the top of the wall (1.7m ish), then vertically down the wall inside (1m ish), then through the wall and drops into a hopper, which in turn drops into a drain outside the kitchen at the rear of the house.

The ideal location for the basin will be at the opposite end of the room to where the waste comes up through the floor. Joists run the right way to make the cross-room run easy, and there's sufficient space between ceiling and floor for the required gradient. The room is 3.5m long.

Assuming I used a standard bottle-trap beneath the sink, will what I've described above work, or is it likely to be problematic?

Many thanks!

Gavin.

Sponsored Links
Rodding eyes would be an idea.
Will the basin be tank- or mains fed?

Basin will be mains fed (Combi-boiler for the hot tap). I shall google rodding eyes directly.

You need a fall of about 1:40 for the section through the floor.

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back