basin supplied chipped - repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a new white vitreous enamel basin that was supplied with a small chip in it in a conspicuous place - the seller won't take it back (we didn't damage it but can't prove that - it happened before we collected it).

Can these be repaired - I understand that there is a Bostick sort of mix up paste/putty (white) that could make it look ok-ish.

Any suggestions?

Roy

Sponsored Links
If it happened before you collected it how come they won't take responsibility. You will see the repair for ever and the join, no matter how good it looks when first done will collect dirt over the years.

The suppliers of the basin should indeed take responsibility for the fault with it but they are refusing to do so, so far.... We are considering all options including legal remedies.

But be warned - if you are buying from a small outfit make sure you inspect all the things you buy before you leave the shop. The law generally expects you to make a casual inspection that should reveal obvious defects as you cannot be held responsible for hidden or latent defects at the time of purchase/collection.

In my case the chip in this basin could not be seen through the shrink wrap and I considered for valid reasons that it would remain better protected if it was left wrapped up.

Roy

Sponsored Links
milliput fine is alright I have had some decent results with a bit of time and effort.

Next time just double check the items before taking them in.

Ideally yes, but not always practical when the item is inside a box that is inside another box, and a courier is waiting for a signature in the ****ing rain.

I took delivery of a WC and cistern from an Ebay bathroom seller (the "Carlton" range). A quick glance would have suggested the items were OK; it was only after taking them out of the double boxes that it could be seen that the cistern was chipped underneath and the WC was seriously misshapen. They were duly collected and replaced - the scratches in the glaze in the *replacement* WC were only apparent on detailed inspection. I got a refund in the end. I suppose you shouldn't buy this kind of thing sight unseen, but even a local shop isn't going to deliver the one you saw in the showroom.

I don't think a chip in a glazed ceramic sink can be imperceptibly repaired, except perhaps by the sort of person who restores ceramics for museums...

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back