Wrong paint supplied and applied- what can i expect now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We purchased some colour matched matt emulsion from our local Johnstones trade centre for our decorator to apply.

The colour was meant to be a farrow and ball colour matched off white shade. We didn't open the paint to check the colour and our decorator has now applied 3 coats. Unfortunately, because the walls were already plain white we didn't notice that he'd actually painted the walls until he'd used almost all the paint(he's also got a huge amount of woodwork and ceiling area to do so he got plenty to be getting on with!). The decorator is no way at fault.

What i think has happened is that the trade centre has forgotten to tint the paint and has just supplied us with the base. They didn't have the base in stock when we went to buy it so we paid in advance and went to collect the paint a few days later and was just handed the cans which had been left behind the counter.

I now need to go back to the supplier to get them to replace the paint with the correct colour. Obviously i expect them to do this FOC as the paint supplied is not the correct colour.

However, i also need to pay the decorator for his time to apply the correct colour. Realistically, have i got any chance of getting the trade centre to cough up for this or at least make a contribution?

I've spoken to the manager of the trade centre and he quite reasonably wants to see the paint supplied before any further discussions. I'm interested what the custom and practice is in this situation which must have happened a 1000 times before.

Our decorator has said he has been compensated for his time in the past when wall paper has been faulty and had to be replaced, but has not been in this situation with the wrong colour paint when he's ordered it himself because he's been aware of what colour the paint should be!

Note to self, check the paint in the future!

Sponsored Links
I think in the first instance you should wait and see what the Manager of the Trade Centre has to say after he has viewed the work.

Dec

Not a lot for him to see if he views the work other than white walls.

We have one empty paint tin and one nearly empty paint tin. Both contain plain white paint and not the paint colour specified when we ordered.

The manager has asked to see the paint, which he will see tomorrow. I doubt there will be any dispute about them having to replace the paint as its clearly wrong.

What i'm interested in is whether i stand any chance at all of getting the trade centre to pay the decorators fees for applying the correct colour paint.

I sympathise with your situation but one of the golden rules is to check the label on the can before leaving the shop.
The other piece of hindsight advice i can offer is always get your deccie to get the paint, its then his responsibilty to ensure its correct and few painters would make the mistake of walking out the shop with the wrong colour.

I think you deserve to be compensated but its a bit tricky as there is responsibility from the trade centre to get it right and you have a responsibiity to make sure its correct.

Think the trade centre giving you the right colour FOC is the best you'll get.

But good luck

Sponsored Links
I agree with dcdec but would say that, whenever I supply the paint, I always get the customer to check that the colour is right before applying any. On a few occasions, I have had paint mixed to a specifically requested colour (on the label), which looked correct, but when arriving on site has been nothing like the colour testers/cards used. These things happen and the decorators merchants have always taken the responsibility. I'm not sure if they would accept it for paint that has been applied without being checked unless the label says it is a different colour. If they have only supplied you with only the base then it is unlikely that the colour coded label has been applied to the tin as this is usually done after mixing and would therefore be their responsibility entirely.

Hopefully things will turn out well for you, but, as you didn't check it, be prepared to compromise somewhat.

I also agree with dcdec good sound advice there, when you speak with the Manager could you please let us know what he had to say.

Dec

I've got to agree with the above - especially the advice about getting your decorator to supply the paint himself in future.

I think you're left with the situation where the Decorator Centre supplied you with the wrong paint, for which they will take responsibility and replace it FOC. But it was unfortunately you who supplied the paint to the decorator, and you'll have to take responsibility for the consequences of that.

Unless you told the painter that it was going to be a colour other than white, which you say he's applied, then the painter is not at fault as he's applied the paint supplied.

In my opinion, this is a terrible, shoddy service you've had from the paint suppliers that even had the nerve to charge you up front for the paint probably in case they couldn't use the colour again if you didn't show up for it or changed your mind.

I would say that you owe the painter for his time and should claim this from the suppliers.
Before you take the paint back, get a quick written bill from the painter and take this in with you and get it off them at the same time.

Are you sure the paint wasn't right? White bases look off-white.

If I were the decorator and I failed to read the little printed label and painted three coats of white base I'd be that embarrassed I'd re-do it for free without any hassle whatsoever.

Are you sure the paint wasn't right? White bases look off-white.

If I were the decorator and I failed to read the little printed label and painted three coats of white base I'd be that embarrassed I'd re-do it for free without any hassle whatsoever.

Not if the customer had just told you "here's the paint for that wall, you just slap it on". You'd have no way to know that it wasn't the colour they wanted.

Good customers give you endless work - its cheaper than advertising.

I went through the same route two days back. I had given a very detailed written note on the shade and type of paint and yet I was supplied with a different quality (but same shade). Upon asking the supplier, he said that he couldn't read the note properly. Now, it's his mistake as he could've clarified with me but I took it as my responsibility to ensure that the stuff was right. I had purchased 30 liters and he didn't compensate me for a single penny.

Later on, I returned another 10 liters of unused paint because the quality wasn't same. Supplier had to take it back this time because he knew that he made the same mistake twice.

Anyways, your supplier should compensate for this as you paid in advance and he should've ensured that he "prepared" the right stuff before asking you to collect it. Buying something off the shelf puts more responsibility on the buyer as they can read the label and decide for themselves whether the stuff is right.

goodluck!

Just to clarify, the painter is not at fault. We gave him the paint, told him it was an off white and that is what he applied. We will be paying him to apply the correct paint. He has offered us a cheap rate to redo it, because he says he does feel partially responsible.

Went and spoke with the manager of the decorator centre yesterday. Sure enough, he agreed that the paint hadn't been mixed and quickly mixed up the correct paint FOC.

After a bit of discussion about the painters cost, he agreed to offer me a credit of £150 (the painters cost to redo the work) against product bought in the decorators centre (and that's after appropriate discount).

I'm happy with that. I need a load of paint to finish the house so will easily use the credit, our decorator gets paid and i'm not out of pocket.

Fair play to the decorator centre. They've taken it on the chin and i didn't expect this result. I expected the paint FOC, but i expected them to say it way my responsibility to check the paint before applying it, which would be correct.

£150 to paint a room? Is that a discount?

Hall stairs and landing. Quite a big house. Including the woodwork he's been at it for 5 days so far full time and he's got another 4-5 days work until he's finished it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back