What's to blame? Boiler, or electrics?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Short version:
I am told that my electrics are to blame for repeatedly finding my boiler dead (despite it having been 'fixed'). I want to know if I can somehow find out one way or the other whether this is really true. Thanks.

Long version:

About a week ago I found our boiler (ideal isar he24) dead. I called out a company to fix it. Up to now they have visited three times.

To help describe what they've done and where I am up to I'll explain the set-up. Our boiler is in our bathroom in a cupboard; it is powered from a white box on the wall in that cupboard (this box has a switch and a fuse). Our 'thermostat' (actually we have a wireless thermostat, I'm actually referring to the box that it communicates with which is connected to the boiler) is powered from the same box - but I'm not sure entirely how. The power cable goes from the box to somewhere behind the boiler, and another cable comes from behind the boiler and goes to the 'thermostat'. A further detail is that we are a bit suspicious of our wireless thermostat - it shows only a flashing red light when we change the temperature; in the past (I can't say when this changed) it showed sometimes a green light and sometimes a red light on changing the temperature setting (it is a honeywell hcw80) - however it is communicating with the main box.

Anyway, on the first visit they changed the fuse in the white box. The boiler then started up but the display on the boiler wasn't working. The engineer said he would order a part. About four to five hours later the boiler cut out again. The engineer returned two days later and fitted a part (it was a pcb, not the display), as well as the fuse in the white box again. The boiler display then worked and the boiler was also working. You can guess what happened next...at some point in the night-time the boiler cut out. I'm not sure how long it would have been running for but it must be between five hours and twelve hours (but given how cold it was in the morning I'd guess nearer five). A different engineer then came around today. He changed the fuse on the white box and the boiler didn't start; he then changed a fuse on the pcb and it did start working again. He also went to our main fuse box (sorry, not sure if this is the correct term; I mean the place where our meter is, where you can turn off the electricity supply for the whole houe etc). He took some sort of block out of that, looked at the back of it, said it looked ok and then put it back.

He told me that he suspects given the fuse keeps blowing that our electricity supply is to blame rather than the boiler. I'm now in an awkward situation (I've paid a fixed fee for the repair, I don't know if I am right to push them to continue trying, as that could cost me in the end I guess if my electrics really are to blame). What I'm wondering is what the general opinion would be on here given the above information; does it seem the electrics are the most likely problem or is it more likely that the boiler is to blame? I can also point out that we've not observed any other electrical problems in our house.

What I'd really like to know is if there is anything I can do to prove one way or the other what is wrong? If not, would an electrician be able to do anything? Would he be able to come along, somehow check the connection between the main fuse box and the white box and say 'no problem here', or am I stuck?

(By the way I have the boiler off at the moment, I'm very worried that it could blow the pcb again if I leave it on and that is a £200 part.)

Thank you very much for any guidance

Sponsored Links
If the fuse is continually blowing, there is a fault with the boiler, or the thermostat receiver, or the cable which connects the FCU (white box with a fuse in) and the receiver to the boiler.

It is NOT a problem with the wiring in your house - if there were conditions or faults bad enough to cause damage to a boiler, plenty of other bad things would be happening, such as most of the other electronic devices in your home damaged and not working.

It's a fault with the boiler which is causing the fuse to blow.

Fuses do NOT "just go" there has to be a fault for them to operate.

If there were a fault with the wiring which could be causing problems, then it would be causing problems with other electronic devices too, such as your TV etc.

Sounds like a numpty plumber who doesn't really know what they're doing, and no trying to find excuses to weasle their way out of honouring the fixed price repair.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Although I don't have problems with electrical devices in my house I'm quite sure (though not 100%) that the FCU is connected directly to the main fuse box. Does that invalidate the argument that I would have seen problems with other devices?

I do note though that flameport said 'there is a fault with the boiler, or the thermostat receiver, or the cable which connects the FCU (white box with a fuse in) and the receiver to the boiler.' which seems to suggest that the behaviour of the other devices in my house isn't relevant.

Sponsored Links
They like to think they do though! I'd doesn't make a difference if the boiler is on it's own circuit from your consumer unit. A fault bad enough to cause an issue like this would effect your whole installation.

If they continue down this avenue then sack them from the job, don't pay them as they haven't resolved the problem, and employ someone who actually knows what they're doing.

I turned the boiler on and this time stayed near it to see what would happen. After about 30 minutes I noticed it was making clicking noises, spaced a few seconds about and then shortly afterwards there was a bang, and then a burning electrics smell.

I contacted the boiler repair people again and told them about this and that together with this and what 'my advisors' had said, I didn't think it could be an electrical problem. They agreed and came down again today; it isn't fixed yet (there have been some more spectacular bangs since) but they are taking it seriously.

Thanks again for the comments. Here's hoping it will all be sorted soon, as the weather isn't very friendly.

The clicking sound is likely to the electronic ignition for the gas, sounds like the boiler has got as far as attempting ignition but is failing to acheive it and it keeps trying until the faulty component gives up and blows the fuse. Prime candidates are the electrically operated gas valve and the electronic ignition system (you can here it sparking, but is it sparking in the right place)

If its made a 'burning electrics' smell then any gas engineer with a sense of smell will be able to diagnose the faulty component I would have thought

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back