Basin tap pipe leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all - I decided to replace the taps in my bathroom. All well although under the sink (where the tape connects to the pipes) I got very slow dripping / leaking.
I got some Boss Supergreen pipe jointing compound and put lots arund each pipe on the threads and re-tightened. Sorted the cold tap although no joy with the hot tap/pipe. I have tightened it pretty hard (with a spanner) - do I just need to apply more force or is there a better alternative to help seal it? Any help would be really appreciated. Ta :confused:

Sponsored Links
if its a tap connector on the pipe it may need a new washer if its split or missing. u can wrap ptfe around to form a washer but not easy under a basin.

how r u connecting the pipes to the taps ? is it the old copper pipe with a tap connector on them ? in which case did u replace the fibre washer ?

Sponsored Links
Ah, gonna sound embarrasing this reply... not very 'handy' yet as this is the 2nd thing I have tried at my house...
It has a copper pipe with a nut on the end, assume this is a 'tap connector'?
If that is the case, I will check to see if there is a washer in the nut bit - never even thought to look! :oops:
Will have a look and report back although this sounds really positive so thanks in advance and I will report back shortly.
BTW - WRT to a flxi hose connector - what's that and should I be looking to be replacing copper pipes with flexi hose as I go?
Cheers

Had a look and there is no washer around the nut at all.
Two sets of washers in my toolbox and neither fit properly - sods law.
When you say wrap PFTE around to effect a washer - the compound I have is a sort of 'putty' - can you get it in a different form?
I think the leaking problem is solved with the correct sized washer so thanks to all four of you for your comments so far- I think I'll check the cold tap as well now!
Will report back tomorrow when I have bobbed into B&Q to get the right washers.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back