Leaking Tap Extender

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have been trying to change my bath taps and have ended up with a leak, please help!!! :cry:

The new taps i bought had a shorter thread on them so i cut down the copper pipes and have fit flexible tap extenders with an isolation valve. Unfortunately i have a leak at the point the tap extender joins the copper pipe. The tap extender is the type that has a copper 'o' ring inside it which (i think) nips the two pipe ends together when you tighten it up.

The leak is coming from here and i can not stop it, please can someone help???

My ideas so far are... :idea:

I may not have a clean cut on the pipe so the rough edge is causing water to escape.

The tap extender is sh*gged

I do not want to keep tightening it up as i am frightened i'll crak the copper pipe.

Any help would be great.

In case there is a friendly plumer out there i live in huntington, york. :)

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the copper pipe is imperial sized 3/4" (pre 1973 ish) and the new connector is 22mm? If so you will need a special olive (what you wrongly call an O ring) that will adapt the new connector to the old pipe.

Otherwise, undo the compression joint and wrap PTFE tape around the olive, or apply thread sealant to the olive (not to thew threads) and remake the joint.

Thanks Chrishutt,

:oops: Olive was the word i was thinking... couldn't think of the name!

The house is 1963 built so pipework may be imperial, i tried measuring but was v difficult.

I'll try getting some PTFE tape and give it a go.

If the pipe's imperial, you need an adaptor (22mm x 3/4") of some sort. I doubt whether PTFE will work.

Sponsored Links
holl7088 said:
Thanks Chrishutt,

:oops: Olive was the word i was thinking... couldn't think of the name!

The house is 1963 built so pipework may be imperial, i tried measuring but was v difficult.

I'll try getting some PTFE tape and give it a go.
63...definitely Imperial.the changeover was c. 1970, when I started

Just get an undersized converter olive and use that in the joint onto the old pipe. (The old 3/4 pipe is fractionally smaller than 22mm and the olive needs to be 'meatier' to fill the gap between compression joint parts and pipe.)

you could try ptfe & the grip of death, :evil: sometimes it works if it's only tank fed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back