Basin Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed Juniper mono Basin but the tap can be twisted easy.
Now i am not a plumber but i can follow instructions.
Ok i have placed the mixer tap over the hole of the basin and have inserted the Rubber Bracket Gasket along with the Brass Bracket oh and the Locking Nut which i tighted. All in that order. Where did i go wrong? :confused:

Sponsored Links
The art is in tightening the nut up sufficiently without damaging anything.

Is there a gasket or seal 'embedded rubber o ring' under the body of the tap if not there should be. You could try some silicone if there isnt one but dont overdo it.

Slugbabydotcom said:
The art is in tightening the nut up sufficiently without damaging anything.

Is there a gasket or seal 'embedded rubber o ring' under the body of the tap if not there should be. You could try some silicone if there isnt one but dont overdo it.

Cheers for the reply

Tightening the nut will be hard but not impossible as it tight to get at.

Mmmm there is rubber o ring under the body, i did notice that one side is smooth and the other has a groove. Does it matter which side goes under the body?

I may have to try the silicone if all fails. Ta!

you can buy long box spanners to get at the mixer tap back nut. Otherwise try an adjustable basin wrench.

not sure about the o-ring, if it don't say in the instructions, I would be tempted to have the side with the groove in it facing the surface of the sink.

Sponsored Links
brumylad said:
you can buy long box spanners to get at the mixer tap back nut. Otherwise try an adjustable basin wrench.

not sure about the o-ring, if it don't say in the instructions, I would be tempted to have the side with the groove in it facing the surface of the sink.

Ah the old long box spanners i did over look that tool.

Thanks for reminding me :oops:

Slugbabydotcom said:
Does it matter which side goes under the body?

shouldn't matter too much so long as it's there, but I would say grooved or flat side up at a guess. wasn't it in the destructions?

Instructions is that what you call them, the diagrams were very small and how to do it very misleading. I am going to Focus where i purchased the suit, and have a look at the display just in case i've done it wrong or there is part missing!!! Before all of that i will try to tighten the tap one more time :cry:

But thanks for the help
This forum is very good and helpful :LOL:

Spooker said:
I have just installed Juniper mono Basin but the tap can be twisted easy.
Now i am not a plumber but i can follow instructions.
Ok i have placed the mixer tap over the hole of the basin and have inserted the Rubber Bracket Gasket along with the Brass Bracket oh and the Locking Nut which i tighted. All in that order. Where did i go wrong? :confused:
The locking nut is best tightened using a socket set.I think that they are all a standard size,maybe 12 mm. but check before hand.Get someone to hold the tap why you tighten the brass locking up.
Best wishes
The Friendly Plumber

Lots of plumbing fittings are junk. You do what the "designer" half though about, and it doesn't work - quite normal.
Chances are the tap is barely big enough to cover the hole, and part of the O ring is over the hole anyway. So it WILL spin or leak or both.

One answer is to fill the entire hole with silicone.

ChrisR said:
Lots of plumbing fittings are junk. You do what the "designer" half though about, and it doesn't work - quite normal.
Chances are the tap is barely big enough to cover the hole, and part of the O ring is over the hole anyway. So it WILL spin or leak or both.

One answer is to fill the entire hole with silicone.

I will be using silicone but need to buy some of it first but what you say is true but not all. Lets hope when i install the new toilet that will run smoothly :LOL:

Many Thanks to you all :D

WHich bit is not true?

Your loo possibly won't clear its contents, by the way. A common design feature of the junk we get.

NB - not a lot of point requoting the ENTIRE text of the message above!

I'm not sure what parts are junk but i do know that the instructions are cr*p because you need to be a plumber to understand them.

I fixed the loose tap but now have found a small leak under the well.
I will have to take the sink off again :mad: if that won't fix that problem then i will have to a real plumber in!

Just been researching another topic and found this:-

Requirements for water fittings etc.
4. - (1) Every water fitting shall-

(a) be of an appropriate quality and standard; and

(b) be suitable for the circumstances in which it is used.

(2) For the purposes of this regulation, a water fitting is of an appropriate quality or standard only if-

(a) it bears an appropriate CE marking in accordance with the Directive;

(b) it conforms to an appropriate harmonized standard or European technical approval;

(c) it conforms to an appropriate British Standard or some other national specification of an EEA State which provides an equivalent level of protection and performance; or

(d) it conforms to a specification approved by the regulator.

To sum that lot up >> It must conform to recognised standards

the diagrams were very small and how to do it very misleading.

This suggests that your tap may not conform to standards

For years theres been a lot of crap stuff coming in from all over the place in the name of competition on price but I found out from an official site that although it is not illegal to sell crap plumbing fittings it is illegal to fit them.
This is a great mystery to me because under the sale of goods act an item must be fit for its intended purpose.

The mind boggles. Hopefully it will all end up in court and get sorted out sooner or later

I did a search on juniper and found the suite to which you refer. http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/27619# It doesn't mention who makes the taps.

Spooker quite often the instructions are just as boggling to plumbers! Quite often it makes more sense to ignore them anyway and put Silicone where it's needed!

You may have another bit of crass design causing your basin leak. Look hard at the bits and you'll probably see that there's absolutely nothing to stop water running down the thread on the waste. There are squishy washers invented to stop it, and ptfe tape gets used, but again, silicone does the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back