Bath cold tap only turns a little - no water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cold tap on a bath/shower mixer only turns a little, and no cold will come out of it. I'm assuming it's the internal mechanism bit that's gone wrong, and that I'll need to remove and replace (please correct me if I'm wrong).

This is however the second time this has happened, and so I'm wondering can I get something better that won't go wrong? Is it likely that I could replace with 1/4 turn levers, for example?

The faulty tap is very similar to this:
186956_R_Z001

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is it possible that someone's turned the tap off so tightly that the jumper has come out of its housing and now can't be wound back in?

Hi RichCF, I think that's entirely possible and hopefully will be revealed when I take it apart tomorrow. I'd like to prevent it happening again, if that's possible?

I have had a quick look, but couldn't get the top of the tap off :oops: (I had removed the screw!).

Hi RichCF, I think that's entirely possible and hopefully will be revealed when I take it apart tomorrow.
Hopefully as it's easy to sort.

I'd like to prevent it happening again, if that's possible?
If someone's turning the tap off that tightly then it's probably dripping (or they don't know their own strength!) and it might be as simple as needing a new tap washer. (old one is probably a bit squashed!)

Or possible the valve might need reseating but I'd go for the cheap/easy one first.

...and maybe ask people to take it easy :)

I have had a quick look, but couldn't get the top of the tap off :oops: (I had removed the screw!).
If someone's turned it really hard then I suppose it could now be jammed on the splines and may need a gentle tap.

Sponsored Links
The tap washer has squashed too much and the hexagonal tap spindle has moved out of its hexagonal encasement; twisted slightly and now it won't screw back.

All you need is a new tap washer.

Resist any temptation to ream the tap seat because this will make it worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back