Bath dropping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I installed my bath the legs were firmly fitted and adjusted to the right height. Now the silicon keeps splitting when the bath is filled and someone is in it. Prior to siliconing it I did fill the bath. Any ideas why this is happening and what did i do wrong??

Sponsored Links
rob884 said:
Did you fill the bath with cold water?

Yes,with cold water up to the overflow (also to check for leaks)

Did you use the brackets to fix it to the wall??

Sponsored Links
No offense, but is it a cheap bath?

I have a cheap bath at my house which was fitted before i got here and the sides are not sufficently supported by the frame of the bath or legs (which are tubular metal which fit into a black plastic socket on the bath)

The bath flexes when people are either showering in it or in the bath and this pull's the seal away regularly.

The only option i can see is removing the bath and building a wooden frame around it to make up for a poor quality bath (b and q i think)

OR

Rip it out and fit a better one (which i will be doing at some stage)

HTH Sam

did you tighten up the leg bolts/nuts? as the syptoms suggest they may have worked loose allowing the bath to move

sambotc said:
No offense, but is it a cheap bath?

I have a cheap bath at my house which was fitted before i got here and the sides are not sufficently supported by the frame of the bath or legs (which are tubular metal which fit into a black plastic socket on the bath)

The bath flexes when people are either showering in it or in the bath and this pull's the seal away regularly.

The only option i can see is removing the bath and building a wooden frame around it to make up for a poor quality bath (b and q i think)

OR

Rip it out and fit a better one (which i will be doing at some stage)

HTH Sam

Yep, a cheapn B&Q job

Easiest way to check it is to get someone to get in the bath and move around. Take the panel off and look at were it is flexing, They normally go in the corners first. You should be able to see the bath moving whilst the leg's are still solid, if it is, time to take the bath out again!

I have tried many differant ways to stop it flexing, none worked sorry..

HTH Sam

kevindgas said:
did you tighten up the leg bolts/nuts? as the syptoms suggest they may have worked loose allowing the bath to move

Yes, did tighten the leg bolts and used a spanner to make sure tight. My only concern is that the legs that fit into there "holders" only seem to go 1/2 way down which are then secured with a form of grub screw. Surley these legs should go all the way in as the weight of the water will force the legs past the grub screws? hope this makes sense

i had a customer wanting me to install the azure suite which is on sale at present in b&q stores. A flimzy acrylic bathtub which looks pretty. I advised the chap that a I need to construct timber framework at the base to enable equal and optimum support. He was put off at first but eventually agreed after doing some of his own research on the net. The extra £40 onto the overall quote meant he got himself a cheap and pretty but secure bathtub.

Remove the bath panel and insert timber supports from beneath, your tub wont move after this guaranteed.

Yep thats exactly it, if you over tighten them they split the black holders.

I have seen them cut to small to physically fit in each end before, taken them back for the customer to explain, been handed another set from another bath which were even smaller. Ended up the women instore brought out about 6 sets. I chose the longest set, which still didnt fit all the way up to the top. Best bet is to build a frame as said before.

There are several reasons why this kind of thing happens. 1. Is the floor stable or does it deflect. When fitting a bath its always a good idea to use some type of bearers under the legs (4x1 25mmx100mm)2. Has the bath got a bonded baseboard,( By this I mean the fibreglass matting completely wraps around the baseboard and is part of the bath casting) The cheaper type baths, the board is just stuck on and to be honest not very good quality. 3.The leg sections are another problem with the cheaper baths being W section, fitting into plastic tubes, held together with self tapping screws, (utter rubbish) and will deflect like hell. The best type are T section chanells with good quality adjusting bolts, washers, and nuts you can lock on the steel T section. Also the 5th leg is very important to keep the centre of the base board rigid. These should ALL be screwed into the load spreading bearers. Finally prior to tilling seal the bath with dow corning easing it away from from the wall to inject the silicon. Some people fit wall restraints but to be honest most are so flimsy there not worth the effort, especially into plasterboard. the double seal of silicone will take care of this. Follow this guide and you will never get a problem with fitting a bath again. Like I have,nt in 30years. I also meant to say to use 2x1 battens to support the bath frame screwed to a floor batten and the bath timber rim, these can also be used to fix any bath panels. Regards chrisey

i had a customer wanting me to install the azure suite which is on sale at present in b&q stores. A flimzy acrylic bathtub which looks pretty. I advised the chap that a I need to construct timber framework at the base to enable equal and optimum support. He was put off at first but eventually agreed after doing some of his own research on the net. The extra £40 onto the overall quote meant he got himself a cheap and pretty but secure bathtub.

Remove the bath panel and insert timber supports from beneath, your tub wont move after this guaranteed.

Im trying this tomorrow makes total sense to do it.

Even if you frame the front, the other edges wont stop flexing. I presume it's the edges (especially the long edge) that touch the walls where the seal is splitting??

I have found that any acrylic bath, even the thick 8mm ones, need batons screwed to the wall to support any of the side edges that touch those walls to stop them deflecting. The brackets they supply are as useful as a chocolate watch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back