Bath Filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please please help...

Q1. I have a bath waste/filler/overflow trio (made by Viega) it has only one 22mm water input to it, has no specification for flow rate or minimum pressure, no on/off etc. it is basically a spout.
I am running a flexicom 30cx combination boiler.
I currently have, but not yet fitted an exposed thermostatic shower valve (one way).
I was planning to put taps in the wall for the bath and mix the water through a T piece into the bath filler, but have now been told I cannot do this because:

a) the flow of cold water into the hot may cause too much pressure (imbalanced) and damage the boiler.
b) the flow rate would be reduced a lot
c) I would not be able to maintain a balanced temperature
(There is no space for taps on the bath and the wall is too thin anyway)

I have therefore been given the options of:
a) Fixing a diverter valve into the existing thermostatic shower system – but because the shower valve is exposed and the shower hose comes off the bottom, this will be very tricky.
b) to return the thermostatic valve and change it for a new two way diverter which I can conceal in the wall
c) to buy a separate thermostatic valve for the bath alone.

Q2. I am concerned that I do not want the bath to take longer than necessary to fill, my boiler runs at approximately 12 L/ps and it is a big bath! I have no idea what the pressure is that it runs at but have been advised normally a combi is high pressure 1.5 to 3 bar?
I have one narrow wall space that will be deep enough for a concealed thermostatic mixer.

Q3. If I go down the route of a thermostatic mixer then I would require a 22mm outlet to the bath to maintain the flow – do the thermostatic valves have a 22mm output to the bat and a 15 to the shower or are they all 15mm?

I would be most obliged if anyone could assist in confirming or otherwise what I have been told, and to advise me on a suitable way and system to fix my needs.

Q4. If I buy a new valve with a minimum operating pressure of 1 bar will this reduce the pressure of water coming out more than a valve with a minimum pressure of say 0.1 bar?

Sorry lots of questions but please help before I loose all my hair!

Sponsored Links
A lot of those questions seem irrelevant to me. I can't think why a tee piece would cause problems? What after all is a mixer tap spout if its not just a pretty T piece. And the filler will not offer any significant resistance to the flow of water.

Fititng a 1 bar mixer will not reduce pressure. It might have bearing on lfow, but I doubt it.

You won't have an imbalanced supply because it all comes or should all come from the mains. You couls put flow restricting valvers on the feeds to the mixer supplies if you are unsure or worried.

It shouldn't matter what size connections your valve has. They are usually 3/4" or 22mm, but if you need smaller you can always buy reducer sets.

Changing to a two way diverter is however the best solution.

Thanks for your help - I will order a new thermostatic with diverter then and hope my woes are solved!

Andrew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back