Bath install problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bathroom all plastered, and dried. Had the bath roughly in position before to get the plumbing roughly there, Went to install the bath properly today and had big problems.

You can see in the picture, the red line is where the wall is and the black line where is should be. I am left with a 25mm gap between the bath end and the wall. What is the best way to solve this problem, the walls are going to be tiled.

Cheers

Russell

Sponsored Links
whats hitting the wall at the bottom ?
the legs or base of bath don't stick out as far as the lip at the top.

Seco, I'm guessing that the drawing is looking DOWN onto the bath from above, not looking from the side.

Was the wall this far out before it was plastered? If not, you need to have a word with you plasterer.

Sponsored Links
Terms like 'Straight', 'Square', 'Plumb' and 'Level' seem to take on entirely different meanings to those used in the rest of the known universe when they are applied to house building. Buildings with square corners are probably the exception, not the rule.

When something goes wrong, the plasterer blames the chippy, the chippy blames the bricklayer, the bricklayer blames the ground workers, the ground workers blame the architects etc. etc.

Getting out of the corner you are in, so to speak, may need a few compromises. The plasterer may be able to get the corner a bit squarer, but at the expence of ending up with a wall that's far from flat.

Chasing the tight edges of both long and short sides of the bath into the plaster can take up some, but may compromise the clearance around the bath taps - you don't want to jam your thumb against the wall every time you turn a tap.

The depth of the tiling can take up a bit more. A quadrant bead stringer tile immediately above the bath takes up a lot more than a flat tile.

Hopefully at the end of all this, any gap then left can then be covered by a bead of sealant.

I ended up doing all of the above to install a shower tray in a corner that ran out by an inch per foot.

Thanks for your replies,

When i removed the old corner bath, between the tile and the bath was a 1/4 round beading, did not really think much about it at the time. As for having a word with the person who plastered, it was me who plastered the bathroom, went to b&q and in there mucky bin (back corner of the shop with all the broken and unboxed things) i found some plastic tile trim, the stuff you slide the tile in and sits tight against the bath, got it home and seems like it is going to work, so once again,

Cheers

Russ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back