Bath overflow drains slowly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I stumbled across a problem with my new overflow installed few days back. Overflow and click clack below on photo:

[/img]

The problem is that overflow does not drain fast enough and bath will overfill. I can clearly hear water going into overflow but seems to be too slow. When I press main waste and then close it again, then overflow will flow much faster.
Is this normal?

Never tested overflow before so not sure, thank you for all your help.

Sponsored Links
You have there a piece of 3/4" approx diameter pipe, with a pair of 3/4" taps feeding the bath. Both taps running at a decent rate and the overflow is never going to cope. I suspect opening the waste is inducing syphonage in the waste pipe, so in effect the overflow is then sucking the water out the bath, so will take it at a faster rate until the vacuum effect is lost again.

Bear in mind the overflow is only a stopgap to try and limit damage, it was never designed to act as a drain.

Hj is right, under normal conditions the overflow water has to exert enough pressure to overcome the desire of the u bend water to stay static in the u. Air in the overflow pipe coupled with a possible restriction from the inlet means it can't easily do this. Opening the waste for a second starts the main pipe flow which can overcome the water sitting in the u and this does indeed start a siphon which sucks the water out of the bath via the overflow. The same happens on our works sink, where some nugget has installed 2 u bends I a row, the later one much larger than the early one. The sink drains very slowly as a result as one is essentially waiting for a trickle of water out of one u to fight against trapped air pressure between the two u bends and push water out of the second

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back