Bath Panel Woes (possible DIY disaster within)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So ive fitted a new bath, its a B shape shower bath, acylic. The supplied bath panel is 500mm so i built a frame on the 2 short sides and the long inside edge 500mm from the tiled floor for the bath to sit on, with the bath feet taking the weight on the middle. The floor is level. All is good, the bath sits level and solid.
On checking the bath panel, i find it fits at the two ends but not in the middle, its too big to go under. On further investigation i find the bath lip gets bigger towards the middle then gets smaller at the ends. (if the bath was to be raised so it fit in the middle, there would be gaps at either ends).

Does anyone know why this is? Fault with the bath? Is it supposed to be that way? seems wierd.

I guess im left with a couple of choices:

1) trim the panel which would be very awkward as it is curved, and the cut would also be different along the edge.

2) trim the bottom of the bath lip so it is level throughout (this is the possible diy disaster area)

I reakon i could do a better job of trimming the bath than i could trimming the panel, but surly i shouldnt have to?

Attached a picture showing the bath edge, with masking tap, and a line drawn 500mm to the floor, and a couple showing how the edge gets bigger.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20201003_150103.jpg
    20201003_150103.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 344
  • 20201003_152302.jpg
    20201003_152302.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 332
  • 20201003_152144.jpg
    20201003_152144.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 331
Sponsored Links
I'm confused , bath panels fit under the lip and go under at an angle , the lip being slightly out shouldn't matter

You normally have to do some trimming of a bath panel to get it to fit anyway and you trim the part that sits under the lip as you will never see it

hmmm, i thought the outside of the panel was to sit flush with the bottom of the lip of the bath, are you saying that it sits inside the lip?

the panel top has a right angle molding which sits inside some clips under the bath.

would think it would look wierd with the bath overhanging the panel.

Sponsored Links
Oh have you stuck a straight edge on the lip to see if there is actually a curve in it or are you just going off those measurements you have taken

The bath, front panel and shower screen were bought as a package from plumbworld.co.uk. I think it was called Ceramica, however I have just Googled the number that's on the panel (wbb200) and it's come up with the Nuie brand.

Attached should be a picture of the top corner of the panel and one of the clips.

I've also put a spirit level on the under side of the lip and it shows it running out slightly. (On the top of the bath is dead level).

Attachments

• 20201003_200858.jpg
    20201003_200858.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 313
  • 20201003_200912.jpg
    20201003_200912.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 286
  • 20201003_201323.jpg
    20201003_201323.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 309
hmmm, i thought the outside of the panel was to sit flush with the bottom of the lip of the bath, are you saying that it sits inside the lip?

the panel top has a right angle molding which sits inside some clips under the bath.

would think it would look wierd with the bath overhanging the panel.
The panel had right angle top and bottom?

I have just found more info confirming the panel should sit flush with the lip.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201003-210613_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201003-210613_Drive.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 267
it doesn’t matter whether the panel sits flush with the bath edge or overhangs slightly. theres only a 5mm variation in your pics with the tape.
trimming the panel or the bath is not an option. your best option is to wind the outer feet up a few turns and try to squeeze it in.

The problem with doing that is that it also lifts the ends up, off the frame, the gap is also then too big at the ends. The bath is solidly fixed now, I think changing its position now will be problematic.
Why do you say trimming the bath or panel is not an option? Or is it just not a good option?

Last edited:
You can trim it, it's only plastic after all

But getting it perfectly straight will be the challenge

If the bath wasn't plumbed in then you could turn it on its side which would make it much easier , but with it being plumbed in its not so easy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back