Bath Panel Woes (possible DIY disaster within)

That's a rubbish design, should the silicone fail water will track back inside behind the panel.

Sponsored Links
last resort......you could mask a line on the edge of the bath and dremmel it. if you have a steady hand and big balls.
good luck. wear a mask.

I don't have a Dremel but I do have a multitool and an angle grinder. The angle grinder with a cutting disc might be ok but I do find it a bit unwieldy, and it's not got an adjustable speed setting.
The multitool might be a bit more forgiving. I'll try and set up a guide somehow which should give a good cut, then just sand down to a decent finish.

What's the worst that could happen.....

The multitool will do it. The half-moon blade makes a reasonably straight cut. Have a couple of spare blades handy.

I agree that the design is very strange, since there is no overlap to shed water.

Sponsored Links
Have you spoken to the bath manufacturer? If its a defect they may replace, or maybe its a purposeful design, and they have a solution?

your grinder or multitool will bounce off the surface and mark the acrylic as your’e trying to get a start on it!
dremel or nothing for me .

Might be an excuse for a new tool then. What is about the Dremel tool you like for this type of job? I haven't used one before but I'm guessing they would be less aggressive with the cut? Would you use one of the thin cutting discs or any other bit/technique?

Might be an excuse for a new tool then. What is about the Dremel tool you like for this type of job? I haven't used one before but I'm guessing they would be less aggressive with the cut? Would you use one of the thin cutting discs or any other bit/technique?
yep thin cutting disc. no vibration . will fly through 4mm acrylic. I also fear a steel multitool blade would heat up and want to stick itself to the plastic.

Right I'll get one ordered, will probably be a legally different 'rotory multi tool' but I'm sure they all do the same thing.

Thanks to you and everyone else who contributed to the thread.

Went through with cutting the bath. 6 hours later and I'm pleased with the result. (Looks worse in the pictures, you can't tell IRL) Couldn't have done it without a Dremel, anything else would have made a mess, and thanks for the heads up on the mask, definitely a messy job.
Last few bits to finish and I'm hanging up my tool belt....

Attachments

• 20201018_130325.jpg
    20201018_130325.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 20201018_130523.jpg
    20201018_130523.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 20201018_130303.jpg
    20201018_130303.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 187

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back