Bath Panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best material to make up bath panels. Tempted to buy already made up wooden ones but not sure whether wood will eventually warp etc. All suggestions gratefully welcomed. Giselle

Sponsored Links
giselle - 1/2" exterior ply, tiled to match those on the bathroom wall. Fix tiles with Gripfill adhesive (not wall-tile adhesive 'cos it will fail), grout when dry, hold panel to underbath framework with mirror screws - those chrome domed ones. It'll look brill.

symptons is spot on.

since starting to make my own panels (as per symptoms) i can't believe i messed around with the flimsy plastic ones for so long.

giselle - 1/2" exterior ply, tiled to match those on the bathroom wall. Fix tiles with Gripfill adhesive (not wall-tile adhesive 'cos it will fail), grout when dry, hold panel to underbath framework with mirror screws - those chrome domed ones. It'll look brill.
Whilst I agree with you regarding the the WBP ply, I don't agree that tile adhesive will fail. What's your thinking behind this?
Also recommended is to seal the back of the ply to reduce warping with moisture.

Sponsored Links
just made my own bath panel

top/bottom rail 3x1" 2 intermediate and 2 outer styles 4x1"[door on its side]

3 panels 2x1" 10mm wide rebate 12mm deep outer edge 9mm deep internal rebate for 12mm ply protruding out the back 3mm but chamfered

all edges with a small roundove[quarter round ]

the frames stick out 9mm with the ply 4mm further back

the panels are held in place by a lip at the top and gravity/friction/rubber seal at the bottom

this allows a realy nice looking bath pannel with lots of storage space and instant access to the plumbing ;)

just made my own bath panel

top/bottom rail 3x1" 2 intermediate and 2 outer styles 4x1"[door on its side]

3 panels 2x1" 10mm wide rebate 12mm deep outer edge 9mm deep internal rebate for 12mm ply protruding out the back 3mm but chamfered

all edges with a small roundove[quarter round ]

the frames stick out 9mm with the ply 4mm further back

the panels are held in place by a lip at the top and gravity/friction/rubber seal at the bottom

this allows a realy nice looking bath pannel with lots of storage space and instant access to the plumbing ;)
Photo opportunity. ;)

photo oppertunity l o l

i will try the last effort was my shed it took me nearly 2 years to work out how to use the camera transferd the shed photos then broke it [i think :rolleyes: ] that was 2 years ago

now have a new camera will practice with that and when i can work out how to download the pictures will post a picture :LOL: :LOL: ;)

and when i say download i mean from the camera to computer ;)

Whilst I agree with you regarding the the WBP ply, I don't agree that tile adhesive will fail. What's your thinking behind this?
Also recommended is to seal the back of the ply to reduce warping with moisture.

gcol - why not tile adhesive? It'll dry brittle, so when you move the panel there's a danger of the bond failing & the tile dropping off; not an issue with Gripfill. We tile these panels off the framework, say flat on the floor or, if space is tight, across the bath; when the Gripfill is dry the panel is fitted into position (obviously we do a dry-fit before tiling) by drilling through the tiles, mirror screwed to the frame, then grouted (tip - dome tops on screws before grouting so the threaded holes don't get blocked-up). If the panel needs to be removed for below tub access just Stanley-knife the grouted join line and pull the panel - the panel WILL flex, hence the use of Gripfill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back