Bath Panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to make up my own bath panels. Can someone please suggest the best material to use, i.e. mdf water resistant, veneered plywood etc. also what thickness should I go for? Many thanks. Giselle

Sponsored Links
Marine ply would probably be best, wbp ply will do though, you can tile over it easy enough. Use moisture resistant MDF (green) but it's nowhere near as good as ply. Could also use aquapanel with a sturdy frame.

12mm will be fine. If using real wood (t&g) then make sure you paint, varnish or use a waterproof stain.

Much depends on the kind of decorative finish you would like, and the amount of water likely to be spilled on the panels.

You would need to fabricate a timber frame to fix the panels to, if you don't already have one.

Moisture resistant (it isn't waterproof) MDF might work OK. However, as far as I know the thinnest MR MDF is 6mm. If the framework's already in place, there might not be room for this thickness. MDF can be primed and painted. (Thicker MDF is available in some basic colours.)

My own choice would be exterior ply, 3.6mm, with at least two coats of varnish to seal it. Marine ply is more durable, but more expensive. Of course, you can get ply with decorative veneers on one side to suit the look you're after.

Hardboard is widely used for bath panels; 3mm oil-tempered board would be OK.

Whichever panel material you choose, preserve the access to pipework by fixing with brass or stainless steel screws, and screw cups or washers as you're using thin material. Plan to protect external corners (and hide exposed edges of panels) with suitable angle material, screwed on.

Sponsored Links
i use standard Plywood 9mm 607x1.8lg. last was bought from wickes @ £9.

i just fix & grout the tiles in the normal way with the panel left flat on the floor.

i use 4x white plastic screw caps (any plumbers merchants) at the corners to fix in position onto battens either end (either made into frame under each bath end or fixed to the walls). you need a tile drill for the holes through the tiles/panel (screwfix 53634).

result is well worth the effort and i've never used plastic panels since. Amazingly never found the wetness in the area to be an issue either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back