Is MDF best material for bottom part of bath panel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A long-standing leak from a bath (now resolved) has resulted in damage to the lower part of the bath panel. The panel itself is of a wood based construction, but the lower part is MDF and it is this piece that has absorbed the water like a sponge and will need to be replaced.

Is it best to use MDF for this sort of thing or is there a better material?

Sponsored Links
you could use mdf again but seal it all over with mdf primer and an undercoat ;)

UPVC facia board is a safer bet, I often use it to cover the built up plinths of shower trays. No need to decorate and its a nice bright gloss white.

Jason

Nige F: Might check this out but I have heard that there are some health risks with using MDF especially when cutting or drilling holes in the material. Any views?

Jasonb: Call me an imbecile but I have tried googling on UPVC facia board and not much is returned with reference to baths. Even adding bath to the selection doesn’t throw up much. You wouldn’t have a decent link, Jason?

Thanks guys. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for that, Jason. I couldn't find this item or anything like it in B&Q so I am going to order it from Screwfix. I will be a adding a plyboard base to the lower part of the existing panel and then attaching the upvc panel to cover this. Can it be glued or does it only require to be screwed? Thanks again. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back