What material for bath panel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

Simple advice, I hope... what should I use to make a basic bath panel? The wife doesn't like the acrylic ones, and as the bath is only a 1500mm I can't find a wooden bath panel of that size in the regular stores (prefer not to order online for this, and now need it quickly). I live in Edinburgh... after some research I have found I can get a hold of the following tomorrow:

• Plasterboard (Moisture panel) from Wickes
    Marine Plywood from Walker Woodstock

Are either of these materials suitable for a bath panel?
Which would you recommend... or would you recommend something else?

Whatever you recommend, should I treat it?
We just want a plain white panel - nothing fancy, no beading etc...

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
plasterboard a defo NO NO.
you might get away with wpb ply,if you paint it ALL round it could last you an age.or go the whole hog and use marine ply as you say.

plasterboard a defo NO NO.
you might get away with wpb ply,if you paint it ALL round it could last you an age.or go the whole hog and use marine ply as you say.

Ah right, no plasterboard (I wasn't sure if the green stuff was more waterproof, but I guess just to stop moisture travel in ceilings, etc).

What about OSB? I know that's quite water "resistant" ...
If I got OSB and applied something like INTERIOR DAMP SEAL to make it a bit more durable? Or would varnish work better? I'll still need to finish with a white satin... so varnish probably isn't best as I would have to sand down to get some grip?

Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
Ply and tiles?
Yeah, wife was considering tiles, but decided against. I thought it would be a good idea... but then again I'd have to do it.

Have now gone for marine ply. Just need to do some cutting. Enough for plinths and sides. Walker Woodstock in Edinburgh - £35. Fingers crossed it'll hold up to three boys splashing around.

Thanks for the advice.

Oh, I assumed you were gonna tile it. Heyho.

Anyway you could always bond a sheet of white PVC to it, for additional protection and aesthetics.

I fitted a new bath recently and I know for certain that the plasterboard bath panel had been there for 33 years, it was me who put it there. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it. After all, the water is supposed to stay on the inside of the bath. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back