Bath / Shower mixer strip down

Aaaaaaargh!

But you didn't say HOW you did it!
I have a similar style bath/shower mixer tap, different manufacturer.

The diverter lever comes off, and you can see the plastic shuttle. It has an o-ring at the top which shuts off water to the shower when the shuttle is pushed up, and an o-ring at the bottom to shut off water to the wide bath filler spout when the shuttle is pushed to the bottom..

The shower feed comes off easily as the cradle is held on by a large nut. However the diverter shuttle will not lift out. It only goes as far as the o-ring shut-of point.

There is a join where the wide spout is connected to the body at the bottom, but no obvious method of removal. No screws, no allen-keys etc. Will this spout be removable??

Sponsored Links
Sorry you’re correct I didn’t after the hell received.
Undo the two large nuts seen at the back of the taps in my first photo.
I then removed the diverter part.
The large spout is threaded to the main piece so slight tap with wooden hammer and it unscrewed. now on the bench and removing the last few tap items the schuttle as you call it could be removed.

Sorry you’re correct I didn’t after the hell received.
Undo the two large nuts seen at the back of the taps in my first photo.
I then removed the diverter part.
The large spout is threaded to the main piece so slight tap with wooden hammer and it unscrewed. now on the bench and removing the last few tap items the schuttle as you call it could be removed.

Thanks for getting back.

So I've attached some pictures, and added text to them.

I reckon the spout will screw off, like yours, or it might just be a quarter-turn "bayonet" style attachment - like light bulbs. I may or may not have to take the taps off the base posts to do this. Depends on clearance and force required.

The white plastic "shuttle" (if that is the correct name) is pushed up or down by the diverter lever. At the top the o-ring seals off the exit to the shower, and at the bottom another o-ring seals off the spout. If a seal fails, water comes out of both! I reckon that if the shuttle plastic is not cracked or broken, just replacing bad o-rings and cleaning/descaling the surfaces they bear on will be good enough.

The diverter lever itself has a cam that rotates and does the pushing. It moves around in its own bush (not shown). In this case it is free to move and does not leak through it's bush, so nothing to do there.

There is no bad problem at the moment. Water does trickle out on and off for several hours after use, but there is a lot of water retained in the body and shuttle, so this is inevitable. During use, the selector works well enough to ensure as good as all the flow goes through one exit only. So I am reluctant to try and bash the spout off yet, possibly destroying the whole assembly, but the time will come...

In the meantime I hope these pics are helpful to anyone else with this antique-style design.

1-taps.JPG
2-DiverterFromSide.JPG
3-DiverterFromTop.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back