Bath tap cartridge stuck ?? pictures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This post follows on from my previous one regarding removal of a bath tap. It has now been pointed out to me that it is only the top knurled part of the cartridge that has sheared off and that if the cartridge was replaced then everything will be ok.

Unfortuantely, I cannot unscrew the existing cartridge, despite soaking the inside of the tap with WD40 for 2 days. When I try to unscrew the cartridge the entire tap rotates and I am concerned that this will damage the pipework feeding the tap.

I have attached a couple of photos, is there anything else to undo before trying to unscrew the cartridge?

Many thanks for your thoughts on this.

Mutley56
View media item 32266 View media item 32267

Sponsored Links
GasNewb,

I'll have another go at it and hope that the the feed pipe doesn't spring a leak!

Cheers.

Mutley56

Damn it, the top of the cartridge has just rounded off with my last effort. The box spanner bit just spins round now.

Oh well, I suppose there's nothing else I can do other than replacing the whole tap.

Mutley56

Sponsored Links
As a last resort, remove the tap (so you don't damage pipework/sink) Find a socket that is slightly smaller than the nut, if the nut is imperial you may find a metric that is slightly smaller and vice versa. Try hammering the socket on to the nut and then use it to remove nut. Its a bit brutish but perhaps worth a go as you've nothing to loose.

I think you may be wasting your time. Even if you do eventually manage to get the cartridge out, unless you know the manufacturer you will then have to search to find a suitable replacement cartridge. This may well be a long-winded task in itself.

Because the component sheared off, I'm guessing it may well be a low quality Chinese made tap. I'd be looking to replace with a better quality branded pair.

Yes your best bet is to change the tap altogether, when you get the new one take it apart and put it back together with a bit of WRAS approved silicone grease on the thread, to hopefully make seizures a lesser occurance. Its what i like to do and purely a suggestion.

Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks a lot for all your replies. I've got a couple of names of quality taps. Will buy some and might have to post another question when I attempt to plumb it in.

Thanks again.

Mutley56

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back