How do you get this cartridge out of the tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a Sottini lever tap that has started leaking out of the handle when turned on.

I've never replaced a tap cartridge before, but following various youtube videos I removed the handle and went to take out the cartridge. However the online examples suggest there should be a large metal nut holding the cartridge in which you can unscrew.

But the cartridge looks like this, and there is no metal nut to unscrew. The cartridge seems to be embedded:

Or here with the plastic guide things removed:

I think the cartridge may be something like this:
https://www.bathroomspareparts.co.u...-single-lever-cartridge-e960679nu-10969-p.asp

But I still can't see how to get the cartridge out. The closest I've found is this video for an Ideal Standard "Firmaflow" cartridge, in which a plastic adapter is placed over the cartridge so it can be unscrewed with a wrench (see 1:20 in the video). I haven't been able to find the plastic adapter thing anywhere, searching for "extraction tool" and the like:

That firmaflow cartridge seems to be smaller than mine though, which I think is 47mm.

Anyone got any ideas how to remove the cartridge? Or if I might be looking at the wrong replacement, or barking up the wrong pipe entirely?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Right, but how?

If you look 1:20 into the youtube link I posted, an adapter is placed over the nylon ring with the slots that allows it to be unscrewed using a spanner or socket.

But I don't know where to find that adapter or what its called.

Sponsored Links
Thanks! I used a mole grip and it did the job. I was afraid I'd break something but it was fine, although it flexed a fair bit.

Here is the nylon ring:

So now I've got the cartridge out, which I was intending to replace on the basis it was broken.

Except I found a strange thing when I took it out. One of the gaskets (is that what it is?) wasn't in the cartridge at all, it was loose in the tap:

In fact it doesn't even fit in the cartridge! How is that possible? See below picture trying to force the ring into the cartridge - its just too big.

I'm wondering if it was incorrectly fitted when it was installed. I think I'll get a new rubber seal/gasket.

It is about 19mm diameter (so about 3/4 inch) by 7mm, so it's not like a normal o-ring. Does anyone know where to find something like that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back