bath tap odd thread help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a beautiful pair of old victorian silver plated bath taps which I want to fit to my new bath. They came off an old cast iron bath.
Unfortunately I am struggling to find a tap connector to fit. The thread on the taps has an outside diameter of 30mm with a pitch of 175, 14 threads per inch. The internal diameter is 20mm with a dishing to accept an olive.

Can anyone suggest what thread size these are or where I might find a suitable tap connector or step down bushing.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. 3/4 is too small, 1 inch is too big. The thread doesn't match any british standard. I have tried all the local plumbing merchants, none of whom can help.

A local engineering workshop measured it and came up with the 30mm - pitch 175. I thought perhaps someone would have come across this size before. I have googled it endlessly to no avail. Any more suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Ha ha, not that much. Actually I've just found a different bstp chart which shows them as 7/8 inch. I'll see what I can find.

Thanks
Chris

YBFL. Most counter wallahs will think you are off your trolley.
7/8" fittings are available. We used to get them in for the water utilities.

I've got a feeler out. (Ooo errr missus!) Watch this space.

You could solder a cutting of copper inside the tap tails before mounting the taps and use a couple of pushfit unions.

Yes I've thought of the soldering option. The inside diameter is approx 20mm so won't accept 22mm copper pipe. Is 20mm copper available or did you have something else in mind? I suppose 15mm might solder in with plenty of solder.

I've been googling 7/8 fittings and can only come up with JIC hydraulic fittings - whatever they are.

I'll keep watching this space. Thanks.

Chris

In France they use a selection of different sizes which all fit inside each other. Its very convenient!

They include 18 mm which is a very convenient size for many applications in both heating and water supplies.

So I expect they also have a 20 mm. Buying unusual sizes of tube in the UK is a bit harder!

I would turn a brass bush to match the tap to 15 mm tube! But then not everyone has access to a small lathe.

Tony

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
In France they use a selection of different sizes which all fit inside each other. Its very convenient!

They include 18 mm which is a very convenient size for many applications in both heating and water supplies.

So I expect they also have a 20 mm. Buying unusual sizes of tube in the UK is a bit harder!

I would turn a brass bush to match the tap to 15 mm tube! But then not everyone has access to a small lathe.

Tony

Yes France has 20mm pipe. Solder that in and then solder French 22mm over it and finally a UK push fit. Trouble you'd have to do a Calais day trip and buy long lengths of pipe.

Turns out that a refrigeration engineer I know reckons he can expand 5/8 pipe and then solder it in to the tap tail. I'll be back on here if it doesn't work. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back