Bath taps driving me mad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently fitted two shower mixer type bath taps. Both have connections smaller than the holes in the bath. Both came with a foam gasket (which is not mentioned in the instructions). Both have leaks which seem to occur because the hole in the bath is so big that the tap only just covers it. Can any one suggest what I am doing wrong ?? Should I fit the gasket or not, what about washers or silicone. I am slowly going mad !!! :?:

Sponsored Links
Fairly common problem this one.

I tend to use the foam gasket, but first place silicone sealant around the top of the threaded shank, before inserting the shank into the hole. Then, when the tap is in place, put a poly washer underneath so that the silicone is retained and squished into the hole, rather then getting all over the nut. Then put the backnut on.

When it's done up tight you can put a bead of silicone around the base of the tap on the deck, and make it neat with a wetted finger (as if you were sealing against tiles etc.).

If the tap is very sloppy in the hole, you can cut a lead strip to wind around the top of the threaded shank that centres the shank in the bath hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back