Bath taps sited asymmetrically

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, this sis my first post. I am having my main bathroom refitted by a plumber just now. He has just installed an acrylic bath that required holes to be drilled for insertion of bath taps. Unfortunately the plumber was having an off day when he fitted the bath taps. He has fitted the taps asymmetrically about the midline of the bath. Effectively one tap is 5cm from the midline and the other is 7 cm from the midline. Having measured the spacing of the taps from each other they would appear to be the standard 180 mm apart - just not centred on the midline of the bath. As I see it one tap has to be moves 2cm towards the midline or both taps moved 1cm to the right of the midline.

Am I just being pernickety here or is this the standard to expect from someone who fits baths for his living. The bath was purchased on his advice and he was aware that it required holes drilling before he fitted it.

Is this problem fixable without replacing the bath? Having ripped out the whole bathroom - literally back to the stud partitions and having re-lined the bathroom with mould resistant plasterboard I am rather reluctant to accept misaligned taps on the bath. I have done much of the work myself in terms of plater boarding, levelling the floor, fitting ceiling panels and lighting. I am sure the total expenditure will be about £3000 - £4000 when the bathroom is finished. The bath was about £300. I do not want to be unreasonable but do feel let down. The only saving grace is that I have not paid the plumber yet and the bath was ordered by him on his trade account at the local builders merchant.

The situation is further compounded by the fact that he fitted a new shower (wetwall, tray, enclosure and power shower) 5 weeks ago and has had to make 5 follow up visits as the shower was leaking. I am glad to say that finally the shower appears to be watertight. We have used him before without any problems though never for a job on this scale.

Any advice would be gratefully received :(

Sponsored Links
I think he owes you a new bath!

That is not a hard job to get right, more a case of measure twice double check measure again then cut holes out!!!

I try to not fit bathrooms if I can help it these days but occasionally I do so would expect someone who does it all the time to not have a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back