bath waste into rainwater drain

• Thread starter williamdjackson
  • Start date
W

williamdjackson

Happy New Year all......

First job of the New Year, get the new bath plumbed in. I'll be putting the bath where the shower is currently. At present, the shower drain runs through the external wall and into the rain drain. As it's already plumbed up like this, can I set up the bath waste the same way?

It's a '70s house, and I'm not sure if the shower has been plumbed in incorrectly or not, but it would make things much easier if I could just copy what's gone before.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Nope its an offense as it needs to go into waste water , whether anyone will ever find out or do anything is a different matter

Test the drain, if it flows into a combined (foul) drain then you'll be ok. Bucket of water down the drain and check manholes to see if the water appears, or do a dye test. (Drain testing dye available from Screwfix etc.)
If it is connected to a surface water drain then i'm afraid its a big NO NO! If discovered then you'll be made to connect to correct drain and possibly face further action.....

Ah yeah, tried this earlier today.

The rain waste doesn't use the same drain as the toilet so assume it's a water surface drain? Not sure where the rain goes to? Will have to investigate further at the weekend.

Not looking good though, although the existing shower drain has been using the rain one since we've lived here (2 years) and going off the state of the bathroom, some 10 years prior to that. That doesn't make it right though does it....

Sponsored Links
Rainwater should go to the surface water drainage system if there's seperate drainage systems, eventually it'll find its way to a watercourse.

Cross connections (foul to surface and vice versa) are not unknown, but the Water Company's do have the power to get them swapped over at the property owners expense!

Need to look at the alternative options if the current drain cannot be used. Where does the rest of bathroom drain to?

It all drains to the soil stack but it's across all the joists so would either have to come over the floor and box in or into the ceiling and box. Didn't really want to do either but might not have a choice.

Soil stack is internal as well so can't go outside.

Thanks for the suggestion, but not familiar with this? How would it work?

Dig hole, find existing foul drain from stack to manhole/main drain. Graft in a T junction, run pipe to suitable position, fit bottle gulley at ground level. Bed and surround new drain with peagravel, bit of concrete under and around new gulley to hold it in position. Backfill excavation. If existing drains are plastic then connection is a doddle.

Run shower waste down wall to discharge into new gulley.

Gotcha.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a good think about how to sort it out. Main thing is I've got options so should be able to come up with something.

Much appreciated.

I know this is an old topic - but may help someone like me who finds it after a quick Google! - I am having a bathroom renovation and was thinking about the drains, below is the direction taken direct from the building regs 2010 docs re drainage foul vs rain:

"Requirement H5 applies only to a system provided in connection with the errection or extension of a building"

As such as my bath/sink/shower wastes currently flow to rain and has done since pre 2003, they are ok to remain doing so.

If anyone has any thoughts to the contrary please let me know and where I can find them in the building regs doc as I cant see anything to the contrary.

Thanks

Section H1, 'The Requirement'.

H1 (2) 'In this part 'foul water' means waste water which comprises or includes:

(a) waste from a sanitary convenience, bidet, or appliance used for washing receptacles for foul waste; or

(b) water that has been used for food preparation, cooking or washing.

Foul wastes must go to the foul sewer, end of. The paragraph you have quoted is in relation to disposal of rainwater when separate surface water sewers are available.

h5 refers to separate systems of drainage (foul and rainwater) see section b....

Even still if your comment was correct h1 doesn't apply to this reason being that water used for personal washing washing of clothes etc is exempt from this requirement (see limits on application), as such doesn't affect our mans original query - h1 only applies to raw sewage.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back