Bath waste into toilet soil pipe...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to know if there's a (standard?) way of fitting a bath waste into a toilet soil pipe?
The pic shows one potential option but I'm not convinced! Ideally I wanted the waste pipe out of sight under the floor...

Attachments

• 20210224_133458.jpg
    20210224_133458.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 516
Sponsored Links
Wow, that's a huge notch out of that joist. Was it existing or have you just made it? Notches should be no more than 12.5% of the total depth of the joist.

As to your question, you'd normally put a 110mm tee in there, with a reducer in the end to take the waste. Having a pan connector under the floor like that isn't a good idea

Failing that, If I used a Soil Sweeping Tee section for the toilet and then extended the soil towards the bath adding a 90 degree bend before dropping the waste from above (I'll have to box it in) into that?

Attachments

• Waste_PIC.PNG
    Waste_PIC.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 243
Wow, that's a huge notch out of that joist. Was it existing or have you just made it? Notches should be no more than 12.5% of the total depth of the joist.

As to your question, you'd normally put a 110mm tee in there, with a reducer in the end to take the waste. Having a pan connector under the floor like that isn't a good idea

Hi, Cheers for the response. The notch was already there, your right it is on the large side though! :eek:

So would you do it like this (attached pic)? Would I get any effluent pushed back towards the 40mm pipe when the toilet is flushed do you think?

Attachments

• Wate_PIC_2.PNG
    Wate_PIC_2.PNG
    7.9 KB · Views: 182
Sponsored Links
Hi, Cheers for the response. The notch was already there, your right it is on the large side though! :eek:

So would you do it like this (attached pic)? Would I get any effluent pushed back towards the 40mm pipe when the toilet is flushed do you think?
I'd put one of these into the tee https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/110mm-x-50mm-black-solvent-weld-soil-to-waste-reducer then use a reducer to bring to down to the required size. It should actually help to keep the soil pipe clean

Screenshot_20210225-102450_Sketch.jpg

I'd put one of these into the tee https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/110mm-x-50mm-black-solvent-weld-soil-to-waste-reducer then use a reducer to bring to down to the required size. It should actually help to keep the soil pipe clean

View attachment 224346

Ok, thank you. My only concern is with effluent being flushed and blocking the 40mm waste, I'm guessing it would just go in the direction of the fall and sweep of the Tee?
Also, would I need an anti-syphon trap on the bath? The soil stack is about 1 meter to the side of the toilet so don't know if the toilet flush would pull the water out of the trap?

Should be fine with a standard trap, and the correct fall will prevent it running the wrong way. If you're concerned, you could use a Y branch instead of a T, then a 45 to bring it vertical. It'll take up more room though so you'll have to consider whether you've got the height available to do that and fit the pan connector in as well

https://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/pipe-...41/jtm-double-socket-branch-135-p23356/s39695

Would I get any effluent pushed back towards the 40mm pipe when the toilet is flushed do you think?
If that main soil pipe gets restricted or blocks for any reason then yes, the minute you pull the handle the waste will travel up into the bath. Or if there is a main stack venting issue then it can pull on the bath trap. IMO that's a problem waiting to happen.

Those bossed pan connectors are not designed to be used like that. Worst case they can be used in a vertical position on the back of a pan outlet to connect a basin into it if there is no other option.

I would suggest another option is looked for.

As far as the notches are concerned then you have 2 that are probably oder the allowed dimensions unless you have really tall joists. The one that's open and the one with the 40mm waste pipe in it. You should never have a 40mm waste pipe notched into a standard sized joist. Where are the other joists, where the grey 110mm soil pipe is running? Are the joists running at right angles at that point?

Thought I'd give an update - I hate looking at threads and there's no (potential) resolution! I went with Muggles' advice and used a reducer directly into the tee and it has been working fine since, so thanks again for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back