Bath waste puttied in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bath waste to possibly swap that has Ben heavily puttied in. As anyone had problems with removing and cleaning off and it damaging the bath in this scenario?

Sponsored Links
Depends on exactly what's been used. Plumbers mait for instance is non setting,doesn't go hard ,and is quite easy to remove.

Sponsored Links
It looks like it's gone hard.
Does it look like a really old fitting/bath install then? Putty was thing so aid a seal but many many years ago, if not then it could be another type of bodged seal, like a grip adhesive. Is it around the waste or is it squeezing out from the fitting, if you know what I mean. The former it could be just a fudge to try and seal a leak up, the latter then used as part of the install.

All you can do really is chip it away and see what you're left with. I presume it's acrylic if you think you might damage something?

Does it look like a really old fitting/bath install then? Putty was thing so aid a seal but many many years ago, if not then it could be another type of bodged seal, like a grip adhesive. Is it around the waste or is it squeezing out from the fitting, if you know what I mean. The former it could be just a fudge to try and seal a leak up, the latter then used as part of the install.

All you can do really is chip it away and see what you're left with. I presume it's acrylic if you think you might damage something?
OH how I miss putty and paint great stuff , NOT

That's it I think its silicone. Is rubbery not set hard.

Attachments

• 1000012418.jpg
    1000012418.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 1000012416.jpg
    1000012416.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 46
Definitely would you think it would be possible to clear and and remove to swap the waste?

Get a pipe wrench pliers around it and see if it will turn and push free.
If it does, then remove it completely and start cleaning the gunge off. Hard stuff tends to chip away. Sticky stuff may need some sort of solvent like white spirit or meths.

A sharp Stanley knife blade will cut through the silicone, on underside of bath around the wastes thread.
Once the large nut is removed off the waste ,the waste should push upward and off the bath.
The remaining silicone shouldn't be too difficult to peel off.

It should be ok to remove and fit a new one. The state of it wouldn't put you off?

It should be ok to remove and fit a new one. The state of it wouldn't put you off?
Nah, not at all, most of that will clean up and off no bother and all you need to do is ensure the mating faces are clean and smooth. That's the beauty of silicone I find, even when it's old as long then a stanley easily sorts it out and won't normally stop the watertight seal from being made.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back