Bath waste trap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has recently had a new bathroom fitted. Earlier today he had water running down walls in living room. After removing bath panel it was very evident there was some major leaks from the bath trap. Attached is a picture of the trap. Am I right in saying that this trap has been incorrectly installed. The bottom of the trap is biting into the floor boards. One leak remains which I feel is the cap on the bottom of the trap. I cannot tighten this unless I remove the trap. If I do have to remove the trap should I take some of the floor board away to facilitate getting at it in future. Also a couple of loose earth leads were visible presume this is due to plastic piping being used. Should these leads be connected together to provide electric continuity. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
The solution is either to see if a shallower trap will fit, or failing that, a hole in the floorboards below the trap is needed.....which is a little awkward now that the bath is in!
Toolstation 96502 is what I mean.
The earth leads would normally be connected to the copper water pipes, and the bath itself if its metal.
John :)

I bought a shallow trap from screwfix. cheap enough
Product Code: 13034 - 40mm

you could possibly get rid of the elbow join as well then - my thinking is 1 less join, 1 less place to leak ;o)

The solution is either to see if a shallower trap will fit, or failing that, a hole in the floorboards below the trap is needed.....which is a little awkward now that the bath is in!
Toolstation 96502 is what I mean.
The earth leads would normally be connected to the copper water pipes, and the bath itself if its metal.

Thanks John - I think the easiest solution it to make a hole.
Plastic pipes and bath now so presume earth leads no longer
required

Sponsored Links
I really can't comment on the legality of earth bonding to date....to me it sounds like a good idea but the sparky section will know for sure.
If it is required, its worth finding out if those wires do indeed have any continuity to earth, or whether they should be reconnected where the original copper pipes are.

These shallow traps don't really comply with current regs so avoid them.
The min seal on a bath trap is 50mm unless draining to a gully.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back