Bath waste trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all, HNY!

Is this an acceptable trap for the bath setup - i ask as it drains a bit slow for my liking, nothing too slow, but i don't get the vortex from a typical bath - it has always been slow, and been there for a few years and not got any worse. Sometimes it will drain a bit quicker than others. I'd say a bath half full (or half empty :) takes around 2 / 3 mins to drain. Goes straight into internal soil stack for info behind the dry wall.

thanks

Attachments

• 20220105_131549.jpg
    20220105_131549.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220105_131629.jpg
    20220105_131629.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
A standard trap would be better, but those joints look to be solvent welded, and might prove difficult to remove.

With the outflow pipe on a level with the trap it will always drain slower than if it was below. That being said it isn't running uphill so it should be too bad.

It is slow when you empty a bath or just with a shower? It really should be too bad given that setup. Is there lots of bends or long runs once the pipe heads out through that wall?

2/3 minutes doesn’t seem to bad, can’t say I’ve ever timed it. How quick are you used to?

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, quick replies and some nice banter too :)

to be honest, its not that slow, but does make a couple of glugs / gurgle at the end, once it has emptied which i assumed may be a problem / cause of of the lack of vigour when emptying. It goes straight into the soil stack behind the wall from what i can see, if not it is certianly not a long bend or pipe as the toilet is very close. shower / sinks seem fine to drain, it is simply the bath really that i wanted to check but as you guys say, it looks ok so will just leave it. Maybe a bit of mr muscle every now and then might be an idea as not tried that.

That's just because it's a 40mm pipe that's full and it's pulling on the trap a little, nothing unusual about that.

Give it a bit of a plunge and see if you pull any black crap back up, if so then the pipework needs a good clean out. Get the bath a 1/3rd full and as hot as possible then dissolve some spirits of salts into it(always read the label )and flush that through the waste pipe a few times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back