bath won't drain, then sink and sometimes toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am pretty sure I know the problem (from reading the forums etc) but wanted some advice from those better experienced.
My bathroom is in the basement of my flat and the bath is backing up, which leads to the sink then backing up.
The layout (if this is relevant) is toilet, next to sink, next to bath.
The toilet waste pipe goes straight down through the floor, while the sink drains in to a pipe that is joined by the bath waste pipe, both then going straight down through the floor through a pipe 4 foot or so from the toilet pipe.

My symptoms are this: sometimes the toilet backs up, but not always and it does drain eventually when it does.
If I run the sink taps, sometime air bubbles out through the toilet.
If I run the bath, it backs up and then the sink finally does.
This makes me think there is a blockage after where the sink and bath pipes meet.
I have tried chemicals and then I tried the professional power plunger which shoots compressed air. None to any effect (I taped up overflows etc). I am now toying with buying one of those 6m flexible rod unblockers but was thinking (after forking out £25 for the power plunger) is it better to save my money for a plumber.
In addition, and more worrying, where the pipe from the bath and sink goes through the floor (under the bath) the hole is bigger than the pipe going into it and this hole is full of water?
Any thoughts would be massively appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Pretty confident there's a blockage somewhere but i'd save your money until you've found the problem, then work out how to tackle it!

Any clues as to where the drains go to after leaving the premises?

Thanks for the quick reply, all I can see is that they go straight down so not sure where they go.

Following the power plunger, the bath now drains quite well, although the toilet still bubbles so not sure what that means.

In addition, I think the reason the hole where the bath waste pipe goes is full of water is because the compressed air from the power plunger has bust the seal on the bath plug hole and it is filling up with water from that.

So as far as I can see I still have a blockage (otherwise why would air be backing up through the toilet?) although maybe just not as severe as before
and I now have to fix the leak on the bath plug hole (I have done this once before, but not in situ so that should be fun!!)

I will buy one of those wire unblockers and try that next (once I have been to the gym to use their shower) unless anyone has any better ideas?

Air bubbling back up is a sure sign something is wrong, the water cant get away and so is displacing the air trapped behind the blockage.

If you can find any chamber outside then check all is running clear, if so rodding back towards the property may find the problem. Its unlikely to sort itself out. I'd be more concerned if there are properties above you using the same drain, you dont want their effluent reappearing in your bathroom!

May be of benefit though if this is the case, if the sewer is shared then it could well fall to the sewerage provider (Water Authority) to deal with the problem.

Sponsored Links
I tried the coiled wire drain unblocker, got about 2 metres in and nothing (couldn't get much further in as had already gone through 270 degrees of bends).

All out of options so going to call a plumber.

Cheers for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back