Bathroom advice needed - back to brick/crumbly wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm a diy novice and looking for help. I am going to get my bathroom replaced and thought I would remove the tiles as, you know, it's easy right?! :unsure:

Anyway. Now I've done this I do not know what to do. I've added some pictures to show what I mean.

Two walls are stud - the other 2 brick. The plaster behind the tiles had blown on 1 so I kind of took it back to brick. The other wall used to have a door there.

There is a lot of crumbly stuff. It's an old building that was converted to flats about 20 years ago. There's a l&p ceiling w some lovely cornicing that I really want to keep...

Please can I have some advice?

Where do I go from here? Do I find a plasterer to re-plaster the two non plasterboard walls (they're not even and the bits around the door frame are crumbly still)? (What do they use?!) Do the other walls need plasterboard replaced (they were a little damaged and there is signs of water ingress)

I don't know if I need a) plasterer b) bathroom fitter to help me.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed so thank you for reading.
268898-67fe466f9bc9ea23453a22ddf4e27d26.jpg
268896-899b98993cbe4bdf43c042c29f820f40.jpg
268897-fb47595ab498bd5e29ce0f114ddb4762.jpg
268899-5dbcad528c4fe53da3387d9a30b82e82.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Any bathroom in its raw state looks daunting. Plasterboard that has been soaked will lose its strength so its got to go. As for plastering that is really about what finish you want. Do you want a painted walls, if so you need a plaster finish to paint. If you want a tile finish then you need to level and true the walls , ie make them square and vertical, other wise your tiles will look odd, the end tile will get wider or shorter as you tile.. For that the easier option is tile backer board, a waterproof board that you can stick directly to the brickwork or screw to stud walls.

Both require a sound base, so be strong and get the rubbish off the walls and start from a good sound foundation, choose the finish you want then work back to what needs to go on the wall to achieve it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back