Re plastering a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some tiles have fallen off the wall of my bathroom (above the bath) and the plaster underneath is damp and crumbling. How can I go about removing the damp plaster, removing all the tiles and re plastering the bathroom walls? Are there any how to guides on this topic already available already?

Some Key Questions:

Will the whole bathroom need replastering, or can I just re plaster the effected area?

What tools and materials will be needed?

Any advice or tips will be greatfully recieved

Sponsored Links
hi matt, big question!! the how to plaster one is HUGE on it's own so we should take it from the start and work our way through.

firstly damp, where has it come from?

secondly, you will need to remove all un-sound plaster from the walls, suggest getting an inexpensive SDS chisel/hammer drill for clearing the walls.

it is possible to patch up but we need to establish what state the walls are in first..

back to you

The bathroom does not have an extractor fan, at present the best I can do is a dehumidifier and polythene sheeting to dry out the wall before I start repairs.

The damp seems to just be down to some poor tiling next to the bath allowing moisture to leak down behind the tiles, however that is without removing any more tiles to see the extent of it.

I wont be at the property for another week but I will remove the tiles, put up the polythene sheeting and report on the state of the wall.

Thank you for your responses so far

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back