Bathroom and kitchen tile adhesive and grout questions...

I was just planning on using the leftover tanker for around the kitchen sink. HONEST!
Pointless IMO.

How much should I buy of each, please?
If you look on the BAL web site it gives approximate coverage for all their products;
http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products

Bathroom is 6 feet x 6 feet x 7 feet?
A 20kg bag will cover approx 8sq/m of wet wall or 10sq/m of dry wall. So is thats a 6ft x 6ft room x 7ft high? If so & assuming you have wet walls, you will need 1 x 20kg bag & 1 x 10kg bag.

Kitchen tiles being used are 3/4 square meters.
A 5 litre tub mix will do around 3.3 sq/m on a dry wall application which unfortunately sort of puts you in the middle; a 2 ½ litre tub will give you another 1.6sq/m. Ether that or but a 10 litre tub but you will then have some left over.

Sponsored Links
I'm on the cusp of placing the order...

However, I have happened across the minefield of silicone sealants.

Again, Richard, can you be so kind as to impart your knowledge, thus avoiding my spending all day today researching the relative merits of each, please? One for the bathroom, one for the kitchen?

I'm struggling to get the Microflex grout for the kitchen in ebony (I did want a grey) so what would be the next best alternative for the kitchen, please?

Thanks once more.

Proprietary brands like Dow Corning or Everbuild, use a sanitary silicone for both. The cheapest & most widely obtainable sealants are high modulus acetal cure which give off the characteristic vinegar smell. These are all you need in most cases but better quality/more expensive sealants tend to be neutral cure (no vinegar smell). If high movement is expected you may need a more flexible low modulus silicone.

Have a look at Mapei UltraColor Pplus range of grouts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back